Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
NC
City
Littleton
Hubby just broke down and told me that he's had an upset stomach since the GTube was put in. He still eats normally--we've only had to feed him through it 4 or 5 times. His stomach remains queasy, however, and he says the same food that he used to eat without problems now always bloats him.

I'm sure this has been covered, but sometimes we just can look at things we're not dealing with yet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Becky

Sry. :-(

As to the bloat, try burping thru the G-tube.

Pull the plunger completely out of the syringe and set it aside.
Attach the now empty syringe barrel to the G-tube as you normally would.
Hold the syringe at about mid chest of the pALS, open the G-tube clip, and gradually lower the syringe. Be sure to hold it upright.

You should hear air bubbling out. moving the pALS stomach, massage, might help.

When all air is purged, stomach contents will appear.

You're done, remove syringe as normal.

Are his bowels working normally? If he is having very loose stools, he could be backed up. Very loose stool is all that can get past the hard stool that is blocking the bowel. That isn't uncommon after a feeding tube is first put in. As backward as it sounds, a stimulant laxative may help.

I felt like that too for several weeks after tube placed. Burping it helps but didn't feel great until after bowel started regularly. Still cannot tolerate jevitiy, had to change formula and still getting most calories by mouth.

I'll try burping as Greg described. We have been burping him, but just opening the tube to see what comes out without additional massaging or movement.

It's been a couple of months now.

Bowels were backed up after (I now understand digging for gold). Then things normalized and for awhile he was going daily--healthy movements. Today he had a runny one that was unexpected---one of those really unhappy experiences for a PALS (as I told him, he's already gone on my head when I bent over to clean a dropping off the floor, so I'm not going to be upset about the mess). I've asked and he says that any food causes discomfort first and then pain as it moves down further in his abdomen. Again...I'll try the burping. He is also eating less and less at each meal. Quantity, not content, seems to be the problem.

Oh, and now crying is a problem. It's been getting worse over the past two months--and over the same time his speech has gotten worse. I'm sending a note to his doc about that. Darn. I think I'd convinced myself that this day would never come.

Becky, what Greg described works for me twice a day.
Yes that day has come for me also all things change and then change again never quite getting settled.
What a tough pathway we are on. Hope your trip was great! Hi to mattLove chally

Becky I hope the nausea settles. I would keep a check on the entire system moving well as a possibility.

Sounds like some emotional lability kicking in with the bulbar symptoms beginning. I'm so sorry, it is awful.

Becky - Brian never had the nausea, so I'm no help there. However, when quantity becomes a problem, then you'll need to use the tube to supplement. You may need to try several different forumlas until you find one that works. Brian could not do Jevity as he swelled up like a balloon. He also could not do Osmolite, that just changed his poop to sand. Then i was making his own, so you could whir up what he doesn't eat in a high powered blender and feed that through his tube. It doesn't have to be a commerical formula. But, I will caution to take your time. It could be too large a quantity at one time that's creating the issue.

When Brian had his craziness in April, it turned out to be heart issues related to too much food at once. He can only tolerate a very slow drip now. So if he doesn't eat all of his dinner, you can blend, but wait and hour or two before giving him the balance. He may need to graze vs eat meals.

Hugs,

Sue

Hello folks, I have found a product called Natural Calm that can be bought at most health food stores, or on line and also most drug stores, is good for a calming affect and cuts back on the crying . A doctor can also prescribe a mild sedative to help relieve the crying. The Natural Calm also is a great laxative, taken once or twice a day it keeps thinks working. I know people who are not ill and take it every day for regularity.
Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back