Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Uni
State
Georgia
City
blue ridge
Thanks for taking time to read and hopefully answer my question.
I started have "twitching" and cramps in my right leg 3 months ago, no real weakness. It isn't all the time, but enough for me to notice. The cramps have stopped, but the twitching is still there and now it is in my upper thigh. My question, is this anything like any one else has had with als? I have seen a GP, they did blood work everything was great. Thank you for your time.

Stress,anxiety, exercise,.caffeine can all cause muscle twitching. If your doctor says you are fine believe him. If you dont get a second opinion, please. We cant diagnose you.

Would blood work rule out als? I'm just not sure of the progression, does the twitching come first or the weakness?

If your doctor doesnt believe there is an issue, please believe them. Diagnosis is a.long road which can take months.

Read the stickies and if you have any further questions please take them to your primary physician. We can't give you a diagnosis.

I read them, thank you. I was just wanting to know from anyone real life experience, if anyone in the asl form has had any thing like this(in this order) happen to them so I know if I should seek a second opinion. I am not looking for a diagnosed on here.

Twitches can be anything, and nothing at all. There are twitches in many diseases. Some perfectly normal healthy people have twitches.

There are some people whose twitches became ALS. There are millions more whose twitches became something else, or nothing at all.

In ALS, twitches occur because the destroyed nerve in your brain is trying to reconnect to a muscle that is limp, useless, paralyzed.

The good news is you don't have ALS.

Blood work is done to rule out other diseases that can mimic ALS symptoms. If all your blood work comes back okay, then they look at other possible syndromes/diseases. If all you have is twitching and some cramping - that has gone away - over three months, that's a good sign. From what I've read, if you have ALS related fasciculations/cramping they won't go away until your muscle no longer works.

The fact that you don't have weakness is also good. I have been tentatively diagnosed with Isaac's Syndrome and I've had fasciculations in my calves 24/7 since May, intermittent fasciculations all over my body, fatigue, asymmetrical brisk reflexes, and serious cramps and pain in both my calves. I don't have weakness either, but it's getting hard to walk because of the cramping/pain that never stops.

My doctors have told me that a lack of progression in terms of weakness and atrophy (of which I have none) always points away from ALS, and since you don't have either I think that it's a great sign.

Listen to your doctors and be confident in their diagnosis. I know it's hard, but I'd also recommend trying not to think about this (but of course follow up with it) and go on living and enjoying your life as best you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back