04/2013
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Delicious Ham and Potato Soup

INGREDIENTS:
3 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes1/3 cup diced celery1/3 cup finely chopped onion3/4 cup diced cooked ham3 1/4 cups water2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste1 teaspoon ground white or black pepper,or to taste5 tablespoons butter5 tablespoons all-purpose flour2 cups milk

DIRECTIONS:
1. Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.
2. In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.

Cheesy Tortilla Soup

What You Need
3 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. chopped onions
3 Tbsp. flour
1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (14.5 oz.) chicken broth
1 pkg. (1.4 oz.) Taco Seasoning Mix
2 cups shredded chicken
1/2 lb. (8 oz.) VELVEETA®, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

1/2 cup tortilla chips (1 oz.), coarsely crushed

Directions:
MELT butter in medium saucepan on medium-high heat. Add onions; cook 2 min. or until crisp-tender, stirring frequently. Stir in flour until blended.
ADD tomatoes, broth and seasoning mix; stir. Bring to boil; simmer on medium-low heat 2 min. Add chicken and VELVEETA; cook and stir 5 min. or until VELVEETA is completely melted and chicken is heated through.
TOP with crushed chips.

Old Fashioned Vanilla Pudding

½ cup sugar
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 ¼ cups milk
1 egg lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine first 3 ingredients in a saucepan. Combine milk and egg in a bowl. Gradually add milk mixture to sugar mixture, stirring constantly. Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly.

Remove pan from heat; stir in vanilla. Chill thoroughly.

*This recipe also makes a perfect banana pudding. Just layer a large dish with vanilla wafers, bananas & pudding.

Easy Chocolate Pudding

½ cup sugar
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 ½ cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan. Stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly (do not let burn). Cook and stir for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Pour the pudding in a bowl or dessert dishes. Cover with plastic wrap. Chill thoroughly.

Easy Southwestern Chicken Soup

1 14 ounce package frozen Southwest mixed vegetables (corn, black beans, red peppers)

1 10 ounce can Ro*Tel® Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, undrained

1 10 3/4 ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup

1 12 1/2 ounce can chunk chicken breast, undrained

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 10 minutes or until hot.
Can be put in blender for easy swallowing.

Pumpkin Whip

Ingredients
1 box (3.4 ounces) instant butterscotch pudding mix
1 1/2 c cold milk
1 c canned pumpkin - not the mix
1 tsp pumpkin pie spices
1 1/2 c whipped topping
gingersnaps, optional

Directions
1. In a large bowl, beat pudding and milk until well blended, about 1-2 minutes. Blend in pumpkin and pie spice.
2. Fold in whipped topping. spoon into dessert dishes. Chill. Garnish with gingersnaps if desired.

Timely post for me. Having swallow test on Monday. Checking vita mix blender prices in the meantime.

Have you taste tested any of these?

The puddings sound especially good! Wondering which is better - vanilla or chocolate.

Timely post for me. Having swallow test on Monday. Checking vita mix blender prices in the meantime.

Have you taste tested any of these?

The puddings sound especially good! Wondering which is better - vanilla or chocolate.

Some I have made. The pudding recipes are mine. I have made them many times, they are easy and delicious. Both are very good.

Chicken Velvet Soup

6 Tbsp. butter
6 Tbsp. flour
½ cup light cream
½ cup milk
3 cups chicken broth, canned or home made
1 cup finely chopped chicken
Dash of black pepper

Melt butter in saucepan. Blend in flour. Add milk and cream and then broth, stirring until smooth. Cook mixture, stirring constantly until thick and bubbly. Reduce heat. Stir in chicken and pepper. Serve immediately. Serves 4.

Cheesy Potato Soup

Ingredients:
3 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 stick celery, finely diced
1 small onion, finely diced
1-3/4 c chicken broth
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2-1/2 c milk
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
2 c shredded cheddar cheese (8 ounces)

Directions:
1. In a soup pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add celery and onion, and saute 5 to 7 minutes, or until tender.
2. Add chicken broth, potatoes. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 20 to 25 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
3. Add flour, milk, salt and pepper. Cook until soup is thickened and heated through, stirring constantly. Add cheese and stir until melted. Serve immediately.

Tomato Basil Bisque

Ingredients:
2 can(s) tomato soup (10 3/4 oz.) , undiluted
1 can(s) petite diced tomatoes (14 1/2 oz.) i use flavored tomatoes, either with italian seasonings or onion & garlic.
2 1/2 c buttermilk
2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
shredded fresh basil for garnish

Directions:
1. Cook first five ingredient in a 3 quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly for 6-10 minutes until thoroughly heated.
2. Remove from heat and serve in a mug or bowl.

Creamy Macaroni & Cheese

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups milk
8 ounces American cheese, cubed
8 ounces processed cheese food (eg.
Velveeta), cubed

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Butter a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Bring a saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add macaroni, and cook until not quite done, about 6 minutes. Drain.
2. In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Blend in the flour, mustard powder, and pepper until smooth. Slowly stir in the milk, beating out any lumps. Add the American and processed cheeses, and stir constantly until the sauce is thick and smooth.
3. Drain noodles, and stir them into the cheese sauce. Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish.
4. Cover the dish, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until sauce is thick and bubbly.
Put in blender for PALS. If too thick add milk.

Banana Ice Cream Shake

2 cups vanilla ice cream
1 ripe banana mashed up real good

Put in blender and add milk to the consistency your PALS needs.

Elaine; I did a lot of research on blenders after buying a few duds, and found that the Blendtec is up there with the Vitamix, with an 8 year warrantee. We purchased ours at Costco, for under $300 and it is absolutely amazing. Can make soup in it just like the vitamin, and I actually made my first red velvet cake using it to blend the batter. I also like the fact that you can bring it back to Costco if you have any problems and they will switch it out for you. I blends things velvet smooth in less than 30 seconds, where the other ones that I tried always were a bit grainy even after several minutes of blending. The Blendtec is less expensing than the Vitamix.
Paulette

Broccoli Cheese Soup (Tried, true & delicious!)

1/2 stick or 1/4 cup butter
1/2 onion chopped
8 ounces/1 cup frozen chopped broccoli
2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
8 ounce pkg. Velveeta cheese, cubed
1 cups milk
1/2 Tablespoon garlic powder
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup water

Directions:
1. In a stockpot, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion in butter until softened. Stir in broccoli, and cover with chicken broth. Simmer until broccoli is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Reduce heat, and stir in cheese cubes until melted. Mix in milk and garlic powder.
3. In a small bowl, stir cornstarch into water until dissolved. Stir into soup; cook, stirring frequently, until thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back