Diagnosis
05/2013
Country
OZ
State
AU
City
lala land
Surgery went well and I must say the hospital staff so far have been fantastic.

I will be doing my first feed for him in a couple more hours!

Good luck to you. I am sure they will have you do it with a plunger, just know there is a easier and better way. Just put the plastic syrynge in, and pour the liquid in. Gravity will work, and the liquid will flow in naturally. My husband says it is do much more comfortable doing it that way. When he was in the hospital, none of the nurses, except one, had ever done it that way. It is easier for you that way too

thanks Lori, they are planning to have me gravity feed him just how you describe phew!

well I'm off back to do the deed :)

Took me two years to figure that out.

wow 2 years Lori? I'm so lucky then that they taught me this way.

I did his first feed tonight and it was a total snap - so easy and he tolerated it fine.

Back first up in the morning for a breaky feed through the PEG then he gets to eat a pureed breakfast an hour later and then he will be absolutely hounding me to go buy a flat white.

Nil by mouth all day has nearly undone him :)

That's great news Tillie.

Did he stay at the hospital overnight?

thanks Elaine :)

yes they wanted to make sure his pain was controlled so he would keep breathing and coughing well, and that he is tolerating fluids and feeds well and that I've learned how to care for it and feed him confidently.

Hope things are going well with the PEG. I'm thinking about you and this new chapter in your als journey.

Sounds like all is going well, Tillie. Good job everyone!

well I'm pretty worn out.

He ended up staying in 2 nights as he still had a lot of pain, but I did get him home finally.

He is surprised how weak he feels - duh you had surgery!

Feeding and fluids is a snap, cleaning it is easy too and it's really clean and neat, so all is good on those important fronts.

His pain is much better today, panadol is enough and he should be feeling pretty good by tomorrow.

First tip I've learned - don't have people around when you feed someone with emotional lability. They can't help but make dumb comments, and if your PALS starts to laugh and cough, well gravity feeding means it can go both ways ... :-?

Very glad everything went ok and you're home. Try to get some rest for yourself.

Tillie, so glad his PEG is in and all is going well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back