Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Cincinnati
My mother is 52 and was diagnosed a little over a year ago. She just received a peg tube last Wednesday. The button area is still sore and seems tender and scabbed. Is this normal? She was also having cramps in that area today. She is still able to eat any food, with the exception of it getting stuck in her cheeks and makes her feel like a "chipmunk".

Hi,
my husband is having his put in on Friday, and we were told he can't have the button for at least 6 weeks, but will have a tube until then.

I can't really answer you on your question, but will be watching the answers as I've got this about to come up in our lives.

please do keep us posted on how it all goes!

Hi,
my husband is having his put in on Friday, and we were told he can't have the button for at least 6 weeks, but will have a tube until then.

I can't really answer you on your question, but will be watching the answers as I've got this about to come up in our lives.

please do keep us posted on how it all goes!

Tillie

Everybody is different.

The wife had the button put in at the same time and never had to go back for any reason.

Minneapolis Hennepin County Hospital

I got my peg on the 25th of sept. I did and still get some stabbing around the button I clean it once a day and the scabbing is getting less and less as time goes by. My Doctor said it could take a full month before the scare tissue fully forms

My husband has had his peg since January without any problems. I apply an antibiotic around the button with a q-tip.

A common mistake is to use hydrogen peroxide to clean the area. While good initially to clean a new wound, it also prevents good scar tissue from forming. Just plain old soap and water is best to wash with, and a little antibiotic or hydrocortisone ointment after for any flare ups.

Brian, good info! My wife was using hydrogen peroxide in the first few weeks after I had my tube inserted. We didn't realize that it helps create granulation tissue.
So it' a good thing to note!

Thanks!

My husband had a lot of pain the first week but that has really settled.

He still eats mostly by mouth, and we are having trouble finding a commercial feed that really works for him, most make him a bit nauseous, but we are experimenting with extra very warm water and no fibre formulae as he eats high fibre.

The cleaning of the peg itself was easy with wipes the hospital gave me, and already by 2 weeks after the peg there has been no discharge so I just flush around the peg with salt water now after his shower. The hole is really clean, I'm impressed with how well he has healed already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back