Diagnosis
05/2013
Country
OZ
State
AU
City
lala land
I have heard that coke is great for flushing the tube out.

Then I was told diet coke, and would like to know if there is any reason for full coke over diet? I would rather not use the diet coke if there is not reason it does a better job as I don't like those chemical sweeteners that are used in diet drinks.

I looked through the archives...way back to 2008-2010.
The pals state (a lot of knowledgeable pals now sadly passed on)that plain water is best....warm not cold and use a large shringe .

I don't know about it having to be diet or not. In emergency when someone gets something stuck in there esophagus one of the first things we do after they try to drink water, is have them try to drink coke. It is a 2 fold reason. 1) Coke seems to dissolve, breakdown, soften, digest the food blockage. 2) Because it is carbonated it inflates the esophagus, and sometimes it actually opens the esophagus enough for the food to pass. Of course this is only they can swallow water without coughing or choking. They may vomit the water up, but if they don't cough or choke the epiglottis is not hampered buy the blockage. If they do get water down past the epiglottis into the trachea it is not as dangerous as coke.

Warm water always worked well for us but we weren't feeding pureed or liquified foods, but rather crushed meds and formula. I've heard soda water is good as well as tonic water for cramps too. The quinine is the useful key in tonic water. Yasmin.

I do use regular coke maybe once a month to clean things out. I don't think is is necessary tho because water seems to do a fine job. It must be more of an issue if u r actually putting real food in the tube. I only do formula and meds.

I hadn't thought about how real food would probably mean more cleaning of the tube, that's an interesting point.

I'm sure there are some PALS here using their own food, so I would be very interested to know if this means any extra or difference in cleaning of the tube?

There is a group on F B that deals with blending food for a feeding tube. Message me if interested

thanks as always sadiemae, you are such a wealth of information! message sent :)

I have had a couple of clogs in my G J tube. I tried warmer water and finally coke. The coke worked both times.

Meat tenderizer works too.

thanks Jellis and Lori, I will keep a can of coke on hand, I don't have any meat tenderiser but I should keep that in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back