Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Little Elm
HI All!

I use to be on this forum when my dad was diagnosed with ALS in 2006. He passed in 2011. I am now on the Walk to Defeat ALS committee in Dallas/Fort Worth, TX.

I have a question. One of our committee members has a mom with ALS. Her feeding tube is being removed.

I know we are not doctors here, but how long will she live without the feeding tube? Is there something else that is used in place of the feeding tube?

Any information anyone may have would be fabulous!

Thank you! thank you!

my first thought is she using the tube, can she still swallow. if not it appears her desire is to end this difficult life. she is entitled to this as difficult it may be for the family, make every day filled with love and support

Do you know why the feeding tube was removed? Was it due to complications or the lady's personal desire to have it removed.

I am not aware of any alternates.

@SuzanneK:

Well, if she can no longer swallow solid food or fluids by mouth and her only way of nourishment is through the PEG-tube then she may end up starving and, my guess is that starving must be a hard way for anyone to pass.
There is no replacement for a removed feeding tube once she can no longer swallow anything by mouth.

May I ask why was it removed? Was it because she was having problems with it or because she wanted it removed?

NH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back