Diagnosis
7/2008
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Anytown
I was going to post this on my blog (and still intend to) but, my blog is only visible to forum members, and I know we have many visitors who read here.

The makers of the Vitamix Blender will extend a 25% discount for those who need a Vitamix out of medical necessity.

I copied and pasted the following from the Lucy's Real Food website:

"If you have medical need, you can request a discounted Vitamix. Call 1-800-848-2649 and ask the operator to speak to someone about a medical needs purchase. They will then transfer you to a service representative who will e-mail you the necessary forms and instructions. The Vitamix Medical Needs Program gives you a 25% discount on a reconditioned Vitamix 5200 coming out to $299 plus tax and free shipping and handling. You can also buy a reconditioned Vitamix here:" https://secure.vitamix.com/acb/stores/4/Special-Deals-C119.aspx

I did not know this, or if I did know, I forgot! My awesome son recently purchased a Blendtec blender for me, and I am no longer using canned formula (Osmolite 1.5.) So far, I really do love the Blendtec, and, although a discount would have been nice, I have no regrets from a user's standpoint. My son researched both Vitamix and Blendtec, and opted for the latter.

I will update my blog soon, I feel like I've got a "test kitchen" going on at home right now 8)

On the subject of food for the tube, preparing it yourself, or for your loved one, obviously takes a lot more effort than opening a can, and canned formula is adequate as far as the number of calories, protein and other nutrients.

For those who are looking for a food based ready prepared formula (I remember the subject coming up a few months ago) According to the Lucy's Real Food website, there is a food based formula. Nestle "Compleat". I think it was BarryG who used this.

Also, Nestle has come out with a calorie dense formula with 500 calories for each 8 ounces. (but, it is not a "real food" product) It is called Nutren 2.0

Vitamix Blender is a set in Serbia the price is 849$ :sad:

My pension is 352$ :cry:

Nikola

Is there a difference in the way you feel in regards to the blended food vs the formula? My grandpa is going in tomorrow for a feeding tube and i want to get the best stuff possible. Let me know what you think. Also can you give me any words that might be encouraging. Thank you

Amber,

The best of luck to your grandfather today with his PEG surgery! I hope all goes well. It definitely will be so much easier for him to have this option not only for nutrition, but also just hydration.

To answer you question, initially his doctor will decide what formula is best for him, and its oftentimes trial and error to find the one that agrees with our own digestive system.

Nestle does make a food based formula called Compleat.

I was on Osmolite 1.5, and it just was not what met my needs. Some people do great on the first prepared (canned) formula they try, some people keep switching until they do find one that works for them. Forum members who have used Compleat had very positive things to say about it (I never was on it)

Personally I feel amazingly better now that (1) I've caved in and actually using the tube for the majority of my nutrition, and, (2) switched to blenderized food made at home.

As for what is best for your granddad, I would think that in the beginning the first step is him just recovering from the procedure and growing accustomed to the idea of the PEG.

If he hasn't been eating much by mouth recently, understand how important it is to take things S L O W ! And the formula should always be as close to body temperature as possible. Cold formula and water can cause painful cramping for the first month or so.

If the formula he is placed on doesn't agree with him, or he still is either losing weight, or can't gain back, that is the time to be more proactive in considering what other options there are for his main nutrition.

It is more work than I originally anticipated creating the perfect formula for myself. Its NOT difficult, just involved as far as making things be balanced, the correct consistency and volume, and, on top of that, doesn't cost a fortune to make.

Many people though, just blend what the rest of the family is having for any given meal and that works very well. In my situation, in a household of all adults that don't necessarily eat at the same time, (or the same types of food), it was more appealing to me to have a "skeleton" formula that I could use, supplement with other foods etc. I also wanted to have something to show the nutritionist so I could prove I could do it.

Check out the website for the Oley Foundation, this is a great source of support for practical living with a PEG tube. The home healthcare company that provided my formula, and continues to provide my other supplies gave me information on the Oley Foundation the day I got home from the hospital. They (the home healthcare company) is excellent as far as educating and working with their patients, however, this oftentimes is not the case. Your grandfather may not have much support at all from the company he gets. (and if that's the case, you can always contact his ALS clinic and ask for a different provider)

Lucy's real food for the tube website , has lots of good information and links for blenderized food. Also there is a yahoo group (that you have to be approved to join) which is helpful. The name of this is [email protected]. Much of the yahoo group seems to be comprised of parents with children being tube fed, but much is still applicable.

Here is another very helpful site, that I only recently discovered: Home | Blended Food Resource Group

Check out my blog on this forum, I have not updated it yet, and probably won't today, but will soon.

All the best to you and your family.

Vitamix Blender is a set in Serbia the price is 849$ :sad:

My pension is 352$ :cry:

Nikola

If you're interested in pursuing a vitamix, (I couldn't tell by your post) you could try contacting them, I don't know that this (medically necessary) discounted offer is only good for the US & Canada, but I also don't know if it is available for all countries.

I read that the Blendtec manufacturer also offers a medically necessary discount.... So far I'm really enjoying the Blendtec, but I've also never used a Vitamix, so I don't have the experience to compare them with each other.

Thank you so much for the information. Thankfully everything is going good so far. He is on the isosource 1.5 and doing pretty good. That seems to be pretty easy for my grandma so far as we'll. The tube is much easier on him. I hope he can gain weight back. I give you lots of credit for making yours on your own. You sound like a very strong person.

Thank you for the info. I have been eyeing a Vitamix for years from y pre-cancer juicing days. I had the Norwalk juice but the enzymes in saliva or lack thereof made my mouth burn. I make a big batch of veggie soup using many root veggies and organic stock. I use sweet potatoes both white and red, carrots, turnips, beets, some fiber stuff like asparagus, edamame (shelled Japanese soy beans) cook it all low and slow and use an immersion blender to get the potatoes the right consistency to thicken it up. Blood work says it is all good.

Had a peg back in the day :D and you can also get some stuff to put with the food that aids in emptying your stomach a tad faster so you don't have that fullness feeling. Took me a year to figure out the PEG. Osmolized food is pre-digested if you will, and only for a G-J tube which has two outlets and one part goes past the jejunal valve which requires special food or it will be a bit painful always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back