Gardens and Birds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kimberly you sound like a going concern. I think your colours sound lively and interesting. I always like front doors that stand out and window trim that stands out. And your
adirondack chairs sound really cool. I think lively colours really make a house --especially the older ones with wrap around porches. We have just sold our farm and at the end of next month will be moving to a townhouse. So I will have to follow the townhouse rules, but at least I will have a big back garden there where I can plant what I like. I plan on having some funky coloured pots there. I love to garden and have a huge one here. My favourite shrub in my garden right now is snowflake viburnum. Lovely white blossoms that last most of the season. I am busy cleaning up my garden right now for the future owners. I want it all pretty for them. I want to edge it all before they move in--I think nice edging often makes the garden look better than it is <g>.
Laurel

I love the idea of the pink door, I painted mine a dark eggplant a few years ago... but the first coat came out Barney Purple! Had to bring the paint back to the store and had them add some drops of black. Kim, you're on a roll there with all the painting, I feel like getting the paint out for my porch railings, they sort of got destroyed this last winter (the paint, not the railing)

Laurel, make sure you transplant some of your plants to take with you to your new garden! What does a snowflake viburnum look like? post a picture if it's blooming. My favorite flower this season (besides the daffodils) are my bleeding hearts. I love the splash of pink against the dark green shrubs behind them. The azalea is pretty much 1/3 of its former size after a big limb from the 100+ year old pine tree landed on it last winter... took out part of my fence as well. There's always something to fix around houses, aren't there? I'm looking forward to a smaller house in many ways, but I will definitely miss this big old house.

Helen I will get my husband to take a few pictures of the snowflake viburnum when it reaches its full glory. I have three of them in my front garden. It was cultivated by the University of British Columbia a few years ago. It is the only shrub that I know of that blooms for the whole summer--a huge flush in the next two weeks and then constant blooms the rest of year. It is truly one of the nicest shrubs I have ever seen to anchor the garden and make it glow at night.
Laurel

I'll have to look for it online to see what it's like, sounds beautiful!

My friend shot pictures of some of the roses this morning after my caregiving. I have an Antique Rose garden, and also roses under windows in the back of the house. The rose on the left is "Heritage" and is under my kitchen window. A pink Clematis grows through it. The two others are antique...and their names forgotten.

Attachments

• rose 7.jpg
    rose 7.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 309
  • rose 2.jpg
    rose 2.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 337
  • rose 5.jpg
    rose 5.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 384
Ann, what beautiful flowers! My roses are just starting to get leaves now. Am going flower shopping tomorrow. Still waiting to see what pops up here in my flower beds. The joys of moving. You never know what you're going to get.

Colleen, I think it would be fun, actually...except maybe you would chance digging some up as you put your new flowers in. Glad the roses are putting out leaves--they must be really hardy to be so far north.

Ann, this far north in B.C. is the same as the south of Manitoba or Sask. so the growing season hasn't really changed for me. roses are on the southeast side of the house very sheltered and very sunny. Only planting things where I know that annuals were last year. That way I won't dig anything up by mistake. :)
Need to find someone with a rotortiller to hire so I can get my veg garden started!
here's what's new at my place.

Attachments

• Mirror 001.jpg
    Mirror 001.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 298
  • Mirror 003.jpg
    Mirror 003.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 315
  • Mirror 004.jpg
    Mirror 004.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 297
More taken yesterday... Although the Mock Orange needs pruning since there's a gate nearby, I like the wildness of it.

Attachments

• white 4.jpg
    white 4.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 480
Last edited:
More...the bird bath, an old rose and a bleeding heart.

Attachments

• bird bath.jpg
    bird bath.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 910
  • old rose.jpg
    old rose.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 436
  • purple.jpg
    purple.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 576
Just you wait! Summer will come here eventually and then I can catch up with all your flower pics! lol

Colleen, this is so amusing to me because I'm seeing these for the first time right before posting them...and since they come in by way of my email, it's a new process. Finally, I was trying very hard to get them posted before the aide arrived. I have no idea if this is the end or not. My borders haven't been raked or weeded now for years--so I have no idea what will still be living or up--somewhat like your yard in that way; lots of surprise.

Ann, gorgeous pics! My bleeding hearts are blooming, along with the violets, but nothing much else at this time... the peonies are wisely holding onto their buds and not blooming due to all the rain we've been having. Usually they bloom, look absolutely gorgeous, and then a downpour of rain destroys them all.

On another note, are your bleeding hearts PURPLE? Wow, I have the pink ones, but haven't seen those before.

Helen, my Bleeding Hearts are Dicentra eximia, (Fringed Bleeding Heart), not the old fashioned Bleeding Heart, Dicentra spectabilus. Look at pictures at "Dave's Garden" to see some colors. The photo above is interesting, since red, and pink were the only two colors I knew of--available here, anyway...but yes, it actually is purple. Maybe the red and the pink crossed, otherwise it's a mutation. I had too much drought in our sandy soil for the Old Fashioned to ever stick around.

ok i will try and post some of last years pots garden I had on my deck. This weekend is planting weekend. Everyone waits till memorial day before planting here to be sure there is no frost. Last time I posted pictures they went to moderation so trying a different way this time. I do not know how you get the "attachments' but here goes...
11773-albums491-picture3355.jpg

11773-albums491-picture3354.jpg

11773-albums491-picture3353.jpg

11773-albums491-picture3352.jpg

ok...if this didn't work then you can view them in my album under Alaska. And if it goes to moderation...sorry about that guys, I just haven't figured out how to do this without it going to you...any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back