Diagnosis
08/2007
Country
US
State
texas
City
Houston
Feeding tube requires the multiple pills to be crushed fine. Does anyone have a pill crusher that can be used for a feeding tube that is reccomnded for long term use by an older caregiver.

The Manual crusher (manual twist and crush container type) we received from the hospital seem like a casual use and not a long term daily use.

Is there any electric of manual crusher reccomended for a feeding tube and make it easier on an older caregiver?

hello,
From my experience in working with feeding tubes, the plastice twist and crush-type work just fine. When the plastic breaks, or you are no longer comfortable with using it, they are available at most discount stores and drug stores.
I have also seen people put the pills in a little paper cup, and use a pair of pliers to hit on it until they are crushed, pretty messy though.
another thought, you may want to check with your pharmacy and see what pills would be available in liquid form.
hope this helps a little
-brenda

How about a rolling pin, with the pills in a baggie? That is how I crush crackers, and it crushes them very fine. An old-fashioned wooden rolling pin is easy to handle and doesn't take much effort.

Boy, that sucker's not cheap eh Joel? Could buy a lot of baggies for that much.

AL.

Very true Al, but it works great, we actually purchased the "home" model and it was $69.00. I still believe that is a lot of money but my wife was having too much trouble with all the others we tried and loves this one as it is so easy to use.

That does sound more reasonable but things do seem to be awfully expensive for handicapped equipment.

AL.

Hi -

We bought a mortar and pestle at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Works great, lasts forever. Get a fairly big one - pills don't bounce out, we grind 14 pills to a fine pwder in less than a minute, very little effort. Also accommodates the water needed for putting into the tube.

We tried pill crushers, using baggies, etc. This was the quickest and least effort. The pill crusher caused me to get sore wrists and was a lot of work.

Good luck - Beth

Hi,
I use a coffee bean grinder to powder the pills then mix them with Tammy's, formula. Works great and the grinder was quite inexpensive.
Mark

Good suggestions all around. While we are on the subject, they used to make small grinders for those who wanted to make their own baby food. These would not work with pills, I know. But I read about people dragging out the mini-processor to puree a PAL's dinner and wonder about those little food mills. Seems like they would be lighter and easier to handle but you never see them any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back