00/0000
Country
UK
State
ME
City
Wallasey
Hi,
I've been putting off writing a thread for several months now as to not waste anybodys time but I think my concerns have the better of me.

About 8 months ago I noticed problems with my hands. Hard to explain but I was dropping things, struggling to use a key in a lock etc. I really had to focus to deal with fine motor skills. Google obviously suggested some scary possibilities but I seen a doctor who performed basic strength tests and sent me for a head ct. Nothing unusual found.

Anyway as the weeks have passed I've slowly developed other strange symptoms. Perceived weakness I'd call it throughout my body. Tremors in my core under weight, forearms, hands, legs all feeling weak. Then of course the dreaded twitching. I started and haven't stopped twitching in pretty much every muscle in my body. Some fine squirmy ones, some vibration type and some real thumpers where you can watch a bicep for example beating through clothing. I also get muscle spasms, I believe they are, where my foot will just move for no reason.

I was trying to put it all down to spinal/neck problems as for years I've struggled with my neck and have pain in the back of my head. Perhaps they are related still.

However, the last month or two I've slowly developed problems with my mouth and face muscles. Chewing is tiresome, I start getting really tired in long conversations and this leads to slight slurring and difficulty in pronouncing syllables. For me this is the most worrying as it's hard to attribute to neck problems.

I've got appointments booked and I imagine I'll be referred but it takes weeks or months to see anybody.
The only thing I'll add is that nothing has progressed as such to failure. My hands are the same, slightly clumsy, slightly weak selves but can perform strength tests fine. Pinch tests, grip strength etc. They look fine in terms of atrophy. I can run, ride my bike, etc so maybe I sound ridiculous?

There's definitely 'something' wrong and Google leads me here far more than I'm comfortable with.

Anyway, your opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

I should add I'm 38, served in military. I've also had my bloods tested for vitamin deficiency etc all normal.
One more symptom I get sometimes is more sensory but I'm wondering if its what would be spasticity. Basically it starts as an internal tickling feeling in my right arm and leg which progresses to be quite painful. It makes my toes and fingers feel like they want to curl in slightly as if my tendons are being pulled. From what I can tell this is described on the Internet as spasticity but I don't know.
Again I appreciate your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your symptoms are not specific. They could be anything or nothing. ALS does not jump out at me from your description.

You describe a lot of “feeling weak” but no actual failure. You are also able to do quite a few athletic activities. That’s very reassuring.

Have you noticed the clumsiness in your hands worsening over the past 8 months? If not, that’s a good sign.

So what it boils down to is a lot of perceived weakness but a normal preliminary exam by a (presumably) primary care physician.

Since you still have concerns, the next step would be to see a neurologist. There’s really not much more we can say in the meantime.

If you have not already done so, please read this:
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26591

Thank you Karen.
Your reply is appreciated. I would say my hands haven't really gotten any worse. It's hard to explain what's wrong with them but they struggle with fine motor tasks. Because it's quite symmetrical I was looking at problems with my neck. Spinal cord pressure etc but since the problems have started with my mouth I don't know what to think anymore. Aspiration of fine foods, swallowing is sometimes hard, speech gets tired easily.
I'll wait and see what my doctor says next week and I imagine I'll be sent to a neurologist.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back