blender recipes for tube feeding/ do's & don'ts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lucy,
WOW and THANK YOU! I so appreciate that you have shared this incredible and FREE information :] I hope that your Husband is doing well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lucy, you site has been mentioned several times on this forum. I have promoted it many times, as a matter of fact your website was mentioned on the first page of this thread.

Great site! Thank you!

:razz: Great tips! I've got a website at lucysrealfood.com that has more tips and some actual feeding tube recipes with calorie count if anyone is interested in more specifics! Lucy

I have mentioned your website in the past, it is a great site! Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump for the newbees

Here's what we use...makes 4 meals--and add a little water when you serve to help it go through. We use a stick blender that was 20 bucks at Walmart-works well

3/4 cup baby cereal
mix with a little water or broth
add 1 cut up banana
1/4 cup blueberries
1/2 cup carrot/sweet potato puree
1/2 cup spinich/pea puree
1 tbl tomato paste
1 yogurt-or 1 scoop protein powder-sometimes both
1/2 cup chicken/sardine/beef/crab meat-puree
1 tbl cod liver oil
1 tbl liquid centrum
1/4 cup oj or juicy juice.

I make my purees ahead and keep them in the freezer in individual 1/2 cup servings.
blend, blend and blend some more. This recipe makes 4 cups so I use a large measuring cup to try and get it to come out about right-then I put it in 4 glass baby bottles that I keep in the fridge till time to serve. I give Jay 1/2 a bottle at a time-and add a little water to thin it out/wait about 1/2 hour then give him the other half. Jay has a g/j tube and he was way undernourished on only the Jevity the Drs wanted him to have-so I supplement with this and give him Jevity also.

My husband just got the PEG two days ago. Now he even wants his ensure put in via tube feeding, and he can still drink it! He can eat strawberries, kiwi, cooked tomatoes, things like that....but defers to the tube feeding as his throat is sore from the procedure. Hopefully he will get back to taking these things by mouth, as he did prior. If his system handles the canned meals, per say, that works for me, as he needs to gain some serious weight....138 lbs is not good for a grown man. But I think he should eat what he can as added calories and nutrition, and not become totally dependent on tube feedings. Any thoughts?

Mrs C, it sounds like it is easier for him to take feedings through the tube. But, yes, any supplemental foods he can eat without CHOKING would be great (preferably those small dense calorie "foods," like cream puffs or chocolates)! Believe me, you don't want to have to do the Heimlich!

Protein shakes made with ice cream orange juice and frozen fruit is a very good supplement that might feel good on his throat. It will help maintain if not add weight and really is a treat. Good luck!

We are on our third peg & have used TwoCal almost the entire time. We did try a couple in the very beginning but this one has worked well for us. We have maintained our weight which I understand is very important in this disease. We are third year bulbar onset & still eating a few bites each meal by mouth of soft foods or well chopped foods. We were just proactive & had our tube replaced while in the hospital in September for breathing issues. That made me much happier since it had been a year since the first one was replaced because it "popped out" during a feeding. Replacement are much easier than the first one! I now give all meds through the peg tube which has decreased chokings trying to take pills. I make sure every medication is either crushable or liquids. Use a syringe in connector tube before feedings. Works great!

Lol I was reading through this and someone said tell a dietitian or nutrionist you are using your own food and they will go ape_hit
I am a dietitian. And would tell all those others. To get a tube then tell me what to put in it. Lol
I say. As long as you are filling your nutrition values. Vegetables fruits. Proteins carbohydrates and water an essential you do what makes you happy. No it is not about tasting the the it's what makes the patient comfortable. The can and supplement drinks make me fell sick to my tummy Smell is a big part of enjoying food.
Ask any chef. I am also a chef. And they will tell. 1st is sight. How does it look ? 2nd smell. How does it smell ? 3 rd and last is taste and texture. This is how you enjoy food. Not think about your pals just because it is being liquified and poured down a tube does not mean they don't enjoy it just like you do. Let them see it and smell it before it goes in the blender .... I know one of my favorites is peanut butter cookies and milk the smell ummmmm keep in mind we also burp that is when I actually taste it.
Sorry I hopped on my soapbox Just want all cals to realize thier pals can still enjoy food even with a peg tube
Love you guys
Felica

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back