Loved one DX
Country
US
State
MI
City
Battle Creek
Hello all,

My father was diagnosed with ALS a little more than a year ago. He has steadily been getting weaker. He is at the point now where he's having trouble standing, but he is still able to get from his bed to his lift chair.

The problem is that he can't sit for very long without his bottom getting really sore and hurting. He has one of those ultra-fancy prescription air cushions, so my mom and I are at a loss of what to do for him.

He can't really recline on his back in the chair because he gets very anxious about his breathing. He feels like he's going to suffocate and/or choke from saliva dripping down his throat.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Any suggestions for how to provide him with some relief?

Much appreciated!

Kelley

Hi Kelley. Have you tried adjusting the air pressure in the cushion. A common mistake is to have too much air in them.
Does your dad have a Bipap machine for sleeping? If he does he should try using it while reclining in the chair. If he doesn't have one it sounds like he needs to be seen by a Pulmonologist or Respirologist.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back