Not open for further replies.

pablo123

Country
US
State
OK
City
Stillwater
Hi all, For the last 8 months I have had the following symptoms in order of appearance:

1) paresthesia in hands and feet (bilateral)
2) left face numb/tingly
3) Cold /tingly in various places of body
4) Foul taste in mouth (comes and goes) ... tingly/numb in mouth lips
5) Muscle weakness in both legs
6) Pain in left leg and arm... especially brought on by physical exercise/walking
7) Left leg/arm soreness, muscle weakness, fatigue, sensitivity
8) Left arm "jerkiness" (havent had in 6 weeks or so)
9) Fasciculations in both calves (I can feel them but cannot see them)... now sometimes in left arm. increasing in frequency
10) Muscle weakness in thighs (like I ran 5 miles the day before)
11)trouble walking because it feels like my muscles in legs (especially left) give in

(Before all these, I had some gastrointestinal problems, but nothing was found and problem went away). I am a 37 year old male. I am a Homo Sapien of the planet Earth and miraculously take in oxygen and transform 'food' on a daily basis . :)

I have seen many doctors, had many tests, and will see neurologist again in 3 weeks. I am undiagnosed. There were some abnormal results indicating carpel tunnel or possible pinched nerves, but none were found with neck/head MRI. My questions are

1) Do you have any advice?
2) What are the best hospitals/clinics to go for to get diagnosed and/or treated for these types of symptoms? Is the Mayo Clinic in AZ one?
3) Are there any symptoms incompatible with ALS or ones to clearly distinguish between MS and ALS?
4) If one has a neuro disease, is it good tocan sometimes walk, etc)
5) I read somewhere that if you can pick up a heavy book with your fingers and thumb, you probably dont have Als ? (I probably need to stay away from internet for a while, but is that true? Seems like it would just indicate is has not progressed much. )

Thank you very much, Paul:D

HI Paul,
Your symptoms could be many things, but it sure doesn't sound like ALS. You describe tingling, numbness, and pain. Could be MS, could be CIDP, could be many diseases. It seems a high percentage of CIDP patients have some sort of GI problems like irritable bowel syndrome. Seeing a neurologist at a neuromuscular disease unit would be a good first step. My husband has CIDP and cannot pick up a heavy book with his fingers and thumb. I do believe the Mayo Clinic in Arizona has a fine reputation, but others on the forum may have recommendations for a clinic closer to Oklahoma. Moderate exercise seems to benefit most conditions to keep good muscle tone and strength. Good luck.
Laurel

Paul,

Just a quick comment: I noticed you mentioned a few left side issues with no right side issues. The seemingly left-sidedness of my issues prompted my GP and first neuro to suspect Parkinson's. (oh, it's the one-sidedness that suggested PD to them...not that it was necessarily the left side. That may be obvious but felt I should clarify) Also PD has gastro issues as well...but many remain unaware of that added bonus :(

Lydia

Thank you Laurel and Lydia. I will see the neurologist again in a couple of weeks. Eventually, I'll get a diagnosis. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back