Diagnosis
12/2017
Country
US
State
MN
City
Minneapolis
My Dad slipped away peacefully on Wednesday, Jan. 30. ALS took his ability to move, to swallow, to speak, and finally to breathe, but it didn't take his joy or his strong faith.

Diagnosis was the end of December 2017, though he'd had symptoms for at least two years prior. Possibly progression was so quick because he was older than most PALS at diagnosis, (in his 70s), though he'd been healthy and active until then.

The end came quicker than we imagined. We had only gone on hospice last Friday. He was having problems with increased secretions. They recommended increased comfort meds which did stop him from choking and made him more comfortable. His body was not tolerating food. He began to become less responsive.

Tuesday evening we told him it was OK to go. The most important thing to us was to follow his wishes. We also did not want to see him suffer. Wednesday morning they recommended we contact family. We thought we might have a few days, but he slipped away peacefully with us at his bedside in early evening. We never had to make the decision to remove the mask, and for that I was thankful.

I wanted to give some details of how it went for one family. Of course, everyone is different.

I can't thank everyone on the forum enough for helping us through this past year. We would never have kept up with the relentless pace of the progression without you. Thank you for helping us, help him, live the best life that he could in the time that he had.

He was a very good man. Friends would ask my parents to adopt them. He spoke into so many peoples lives. He was loving and supportive. I was blessed to be his daughter. He would want you to know that you are loved and beautiful. I can't wait for you to meet him someday in eternity.

Thank you so much for sharing. You paint such a loving and vivid picture of your dad and his kindness. Your love and care for him has shone through in every post you've made here and your drive to provide him comfort and dignity is an absolute tribute.
Peace to you and your loved ones.

I am very sorry for your loss, though glad that he went out on his terms. You did all that you could, when there was something to do. When there was not, because you understood that, he was able to slip away in peace; that is everything.

Best,
Laurie

I'm so sorry you had to lose this wonderful man to the beast. You sound pretty much at peace with how it all went and I hope that's true. You and your family did great. Hugs to you!

I'm so very sorry for your loss - what a beautiful tribute to a wonderful man. This disease seems to take the very best from us.

Sending you my sincerest condolences. You have been a wonderful daughter. Lean on your faith to get you through this difficult time. Hugs to you.

I am very sorry for your loss. I am glad it was peaceful and you were there.

This I am so very sorry for your loss. You were an amazing daughter and CALS. Yes, there will be a lovely reunion one day. Dad is flying free.

Hugs

I am so sorry for your loss of your Dad. Your tribute to him is beautiful. I am so glad he is free now and that his passing was peaceful.

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sharon

Beautiful, I am hoping for the same.
Dancing free

So sorry for your loss. He sounds like a wonderful man. I am glad that he did not suffer in the end. He is now free. Wishing you peace.

So sorry for your loss. Our thoughts are with you and your family.

I am so very sorry to hear of your dad. You all are in my thoughts and prayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back