Moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope dad is ok Sue - have a couple of extra drinkies xxx

Hi all,

Well Dad is now in the hospital on IV Abx for a UTI. That always makes dementia worse. Mom is at a different hospital getting drained w/DB and DSIL is picking up her Dad from yet a 3rd hospital where he was in the psych ward trying to get meds adjusted for him as he also has dementia.

Drinks were good last night and for the most part enjoyed myself, outside of the calls from DB when they decided to send Dad back to the hospital. DB went over and only got home about 11:30 last night and was picking up Mom at 6AM today

I will be going to a workout with DD at 10 then home to shower, and over to the hospital to check on Dad and deliver some paperwork. Then home again for a quick turn around to head to my SIL/BIL for that gathering.

What a weekend.

Yesterday went well. Dad is doing much better, slept last night.

Wanted to wish everyone a Merry and Blessed Christmas. If you still have you PALS, celebrate. If you’ve lost you PALS, as I have still reflect and Celebrate as they are now free of the monster.

Love you all

Back to life today.

Have to take payroll out to work here in a couple of minutes

Waiting to hear back on Dad, might be leaving the hospital today.

Yesterday was very nice. Nice time at my brothers. And then with family for dinner.

DD and I did have a moment after we exchanged gifts in the morning.

Hugs

Wow it’s been a very crazy week.

Wed was fairly uneventful, Dad stayed at the hospital.

Thursday my SIL’s dad who had come home Monday went back to the hospital with chest pains. My dad remained at the hospital. Friday morning DB andI took Mom to meet her new Dr and have a follow up CT. That all went well, but just as we were about to leave, the Dr’s office called and said they say a PE and DVT on her right side. So off to the ED, then Mom was admitted.

DSIL’s Dad came back home yesterday and Dad was transferred to the Rehab part of the place he is staying..

DB saw DDad today and said he is still very confused. Mom had a Doppler of her leg and they could not see a clot. However, they had started her on a heparin drip yesterday.

Life is crazy.

Hugs

Sue - wow just wow.

I'm so glad you are all able to shuffle around helping all 3 of these family members that obviously need so much help. It must totally do your head in if you were to stop for a moment. hugs to you

Tillie I actually said to my Mom and Brother as we were sitting in the ED that if someone asks about my grieving, I’ll have to tell them it’s had to wait and ask me in 10 years, I might actually have time them. :)

Plans for today are to chill.

Enjoy your day Sue. I’m sorry the struggle continues with your dad but sounds like he came through okay.

Well as far as I know Dad is ok.

Mom on the other hand, not so much. Turns out after a Doppler study Mom actually has 3 DVT and that probably PE. However, the Dr called my brother today. We have go have a meeting tomorrow and with my Mom. The problem being, mom cannot get her belly drained while she’s on the blood thinners. It takes a few days after going off of them and then it takes 5 days to get it back up. She need drained once a week so we can’t treat both. Dr is talking hospice and I think a permanent drain since the clots were not bothering her, but her belly blowing up is.

Yeah - Happy New Year.

Please someone stop the merry-go-round I want off.

OK let's look at the permanent drain as a blessing - that procedure weekly was a huge drain on you all (oh yeah really bad pun intended).

hugs girl, may as well go whooping out of 2018 in style eh!

Gosh Sue! So many hurdles... I hope things calm down soon.

I'd push for a hematologist or new cardiologist on your mom's team, Sue. There are multiple options for anticoagulation when there is an ongoing need to control bleeding risk, even given the option of a permanent drain (which might carry lower bleeding risk than repeated procedures). Bridging protocols are changing as well.

Also, the new guidelines for many GI procedures permit more latitude than 0-60 depending on non-procedural as well as procedural risk factors. Trading off bleeding risk is much more individualized than it used to be, with new agents in the mix. I've attached an example of one hospital protocol.

If she is ready for hospice for other reasons, that's one thing, but to go into it for reasons of anticoagulation would seem to mandate careful consideration of all the options.

Attachments

• clin-management-peri-procedure-anticoagulants-web-algorithm.pdf
    521.5 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Sue, that merry-go-round is out of control! I can't follow everything but hope they find good treatments for your mom and I wish all of your family a much better new year!

Wow Sue, your mom too! What’s Lori says makes sense as usually though, I’d push for more answers. As if we all you still have going on you need to do more “push” but still it sounds like there is more to resolve there.

Thinking of you!

Thanks everyone

Laurie - thank you for that chart. While it does make sense, the problem we are running into is that as noted on the chart, low bleeding risk needs tapered for 2-3 days prior. And it takes 5 days for it to come back to therapeutic levels. She is needing drained once every 7 days. So the problem becomes there are not enough days between procedures to keep the level of Coumadin therapeutic. That said, we are meeting with the Dr today and will get a further explanation of the situation.

Add to that the cystic mass is occluding the portal vein and the is starting to also occlude the celiac vein. The mass is inoperable due to those factors and would be even with a 20 yo. So she is already a ticking timebomb.

We are going to see that if once the permanent tube is placed - which is what is suggested and we agree - if then she could go back on the Coumadin.

Until we meet today, things are up in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back