Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
Recommended best software?

Thanks

I use the software that came with Win 7. There are apps for Android phones too. I borrowed a microphone from the ALS group.

Rick

I regret not having done it... Never quite believed i would have to. Started as a throat tickle... First clue?

Too late now. I should have listened. Even if I tired now - i no longer sound like me - except maybe a drunk me! So, I use speak it! when I am tired - and nag my hubby in an array of voices and accents.

Go for it Jerry!

Just the Sound Recorder is fine and easy to use.

You should consider doing a Modeltalker voice as well. It takes some time to do, but is nice to have the option of a synthetic voice that sounds like you. Do a search on it.

BrianD is right on, the voice recording software is just fine in the computer. You can Google different thing like "voice banking phrases" and stuff like that. You will come up with some good ideas from different sites, like the ALSA and others. Then just start a folder in your computer to save each file "phrase". This way it will be your voice for each phrase you make. Modeltalker is a good free software that you can download and do the sample sentences, then you send them back and they send you the full list of 1600 sentences. The only problem with Modeltalker is it can be very sensitive with the headset you use, background noise, speech volume, pitch. The following is from an email they sent me regarding the headset...
Microphone:
We now *require*use of a wired, head-mounted microphone with a USB interface. There are three important advantages to using a USB headset: 1) The headset will maintain a constant distance and orientation between your mouth and the microphone. This is extremely important for consistency from one recording to the next; 2) Many computers, especially laptops, have less-than-optimal sound cards. A USB-based mic will have its own built-in sound processing hardware and will bypass the sound system of your computer; and 3) A headset mic is less likely to pick-up ambient noise. Many consumer-grade USB headsets will be acceptable as long as they do not have Automatic Gain Control (AGC). The Logitech G330 USB Headset or Logitech H530 USB Headset (widely available and priced in the $35-$50 range) are possible choices. There are also Sennheiser mics. We don't have hands on experience with the Sennheiser SC 260 USB but we have had very good results with users recording with Sennheiser USB mics, however, they are a bit pricier at $85-$105.

Also, the Modeltalker is your voice computerized...you can listen to samples on their website.

Last edited:
Like Elaine I wished I would have done that with my pals. Never thought his voice would go so quickly. Still have his introduction on his cell phone that I now use. Can't erase it since this is the only reminder of his once strong sweet voice.

Debbie

Debbie, don't get rid of that phone ever. We never voice banked--didn't really realize the voice was going and gone until too late. I use to listen to a message of him on our company phone over and over again when I was sad... we got a new phone system and now I don't have that anymore.

Don't wait if you are thinking about it!

Do programs exist that will run on the iPad?

Related (I believe so anyway), I teach full-time, and therefore, I have the need to "write" extensively (give feedback when grading papers). I use Dragon software. It's awesome.

>I use Dragon software. It's awesome.

My speech has taken a hit as has my left arm/hand -- does dns work with slurred speech?

Thanks,

Max

It didn't work well for me when I started slurring. But your mileage may vary.

> I use Dragon software. It's awesome

I just installed it, but it doesn't like my headsets.

Do you have any speech issues? mine isn't great :-(

My jaw muscles spasm and become fatigued when I talked too much - and sometimes when I eat.

Dragon requires that you "read" various literary passages before using the software, in order that your unique voice characteristics -- pitch, tone, frequency, nuances -- are recognized. I suppose that slurring will be accounted for to some extent, but I would not be able to say for sure.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back