Diagnosis
10/2000
Country
CA
State
NL
City
Newfoundland
Research results of what could be a significant development in stem cell technology were announced today. In experiments that could open a new era in stem cell biology, scientists have found a cheap and easy way to reprogram mature cells from mice back into an embryonic-like state that allowed them to generate many types of tissue.

The research, described as game-changing by experts in the field, suggests human cells could in future be reprogrammed by the same technique, offering a simpler way to replace damaged cells or grow new organs for sick and injured people.

Read the story at the Globe and Mail: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...t-embryos/article16568917/#dashboard/follows/

I wonder why this is fresh news? Perhaps it is cheaper than the methods currently in use? Certainly they have been taking human skin cells and regressing them to stem cells and then turning them into motor neurons for a while for research purposes using a technique found by a Harvard researcher. I have given 2 skin samples myself for that
It is certainly great technology though!

Perhaps it is more the method of doing it than the concept of regressing cells to a pluripotent state that is new. I did notice that the reviewer refrained from using the breathless "break through" word that seems to accompany most research paper announcements.

The paper was published in Nature which is about as prestigious a science journal as you can find. One of the researchers was at Harvard. I wonder if he was the same one involved with developing the technique you used in your treatment.

I'm certainly looking forward to your posting results of your experience with your trial.

Thanks. I found the Nature abstract. It sounds like this is another technique to do the same thing. Perhaps faster or cheaper. The samples I gave were to be used in lab research. One was to test possible drug treatments. It is both faster and easier to test things that way to see what might help PALS and no risk to humans. The other sample was to be used in more basic research to see how sick motor neurons react in certain environments. The cells are deidentified other than coming from someone with the c9 orf72 defect. And for those who are wondering even though I am asymptomatic apparently the motor neurons they grow from my skin are sick. I do not understand that either!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back