Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
UK
City
london
I had an EMG today and a nerve conduction study.

I had silence at rest and noise in contracted muscles. However my thenar muscle of right hand had donepops at rest and he kept telling me to relax. In the end he had to hold the thumb. He also put some more electrical pads on this area.

He finished by telling me he was 99% sure I was fine but of course the thumb has bothered me. Can anyone explain why I heard some pops at rest? I thought this was a bad sign.

Thanks

I'd go with the 99% . And smile broadly.

If you're still uncertain, Why don't you make a quick call back to neuro and ask him?

I had an EMG last thursday and had the same as you, noise when they tested my arm muscle while holding still. But, I know I was pretty nervous and I was shaking because of that. That is wat the neuro said to me, that the sound was because I didn't relax. I wouldn't worry if I were you.

I did not get any results yet, but when I left, the neuro said she thought it was all okay. I will get the results next week.

When I had the EMG done my Neurologist said right away that there was a difference between my left and right sides. I would think that if you were told that it was very unlikely you had a problem I would be very thankful. I would follow Elaine's advise if you are concerned.

Thanks for your replies. I did go back before I left and ask him about my thumb as he spent more time on that than anywhere and ended up having to hold it still. He also put some weird wires on it at the end to check it. I freaked because that was the first worry I had when I started twitching last Feb. It sometimes hurts at the joint and can feel a bit odd. Not weak just not as dexterous. I'm sure it's partly because I have been focused on it.

I quizzed him about it and he said it was fine and he showed me the report he was typing and it said "no evidence of MND". I'm seeing the neuro next week so will ask again but it was slightly heart in mouth moment. I'm probably not going to be completely relaxed until I speak to the consultant but surely I wouldn't get the 99% clear if there was a problem. My husband was there and heard it as well and now thinks I'm mad.

Thanks again for your replies

When my scales tipped to ALS the doc who was doing my EMG bolted out of the room to find the attending neurologist...talk about bedside manner.

My neuro's facial expression totally changed while he was doing the EMG - like a shadow crossed his face....that's when I knew. He told us officially some ten minutes later. At least he didn't hightail out of the room!

When my husband was having his EMG at the Cleveland Clinic, they ended up bringing in 2 other doctors, then a whole class of students. They spent 4-6 hours on him. I could be exaggerating, but it was a full body one (he said the bottom of the feet were the worst). We knew it wasn't good then

The one doing mine looked somber and said as I was leaving, "good luck with all of this."

On my second emg (2012) my neuromuscular doc kept telling me to relax my arm and I was. She would move my thumb and the noise would go away. I was so scared because she wouldn't answer me what it was. Her report did say no evidence of mnd at this time.

I'm sure the docs know what noise and spike patterns Are not concerning and fine.

In my case, 6 months later, I asked her again and she told me mine were fasci. They are and were benign. It would've saved me 6 month of anxiety had she told me that earlier.

Thanks for replying. I know I should be rejoicing but I still need to hear it from the neuro. The neuro physiologist was non committal until the end even when I questioned him on doing under my chin (after the thumb and before going back to it again) as the neuro had originally said that was not necessary. The guy told me he wanted to be sure.

I've also noticed a small dent in my thigh this morning when my muscle is flexed. I could have sworn it was not there before.

My husband thinks I've lost a grip on reality and he's probably right but until I speak to my consultant I'm still unsure.

I'm sorry to post on here as I know how it must look like I'm completely selfish. I am in no way meaning to upset and annoy people. I really do appreciate your time and replies.

If I had a clean EMG but have this thigh dent could this mean there is still something going on? The dent is halfway up my thigh and is obvious if I flex my thigh when standing up. If I'm sitting with my legs out its not really obvious when I flex. I'm worried because I'm sure I would have noticed it before.

My husband thinks I've lost a grip on reality and he's probably right but until I speak to my consultant I'm still unsure.

I'm sorry to post on here as I know how it must look like I'm completely selfish.

Stick with your doctors and believe what they say, or get a second opinion from another doctor, and tell them what you have posted here so they can help you.

I hope you find some real answers.

Thank you. I do admit this has made me very anxious. I've looked at this dent again and underneath you can see a white star shaped mark so I think it's where I bashed it awhile ago. I'm hoping that anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back