Diagnosis
07/2012
Country
CA
State
B.C.
City
Salmon Arm
Since my husband's diagnosis, I have noticed that my knees, feet and hands have really started to bother me. I realize that it probably is because I had to start to do all the heavy work, and now do a lot of lifting and pulling with my hands. Also since I am in my 50's (shhh don't tell anyone) my joints are bound to act up.
The thing is that it does not seem to be in my joints, but the tendons that are inflamed. I am great on making sure my husband gets his supplements and vitamins, but am horrible at it myself.

In the spring I saw my physician and she suggested that I go on hormone therapy again, but I really don't want to as it was making me grow in places I didn't need to anymore.

Are any of you other women dealing with sore hands and feet, or tendonitis, and what do you do? 14 years ago when I lost my brother, and my husband of 24 years left me (5days after funeral) I went on anti-presents. I remember noticing that the aches and pains that I had had went away, and I jokingly said it went with my ex. Then couple of years later, when I thought I had a handle on things again, I started to wean off, and noticed that I started to get aches and pains all over the place again. I talked to my doctor and she advised me to stay on them, which I did. So this spring when things started to flare up again, I went to her and we increased the dose, but after 3 months I did not notice any improvement and went back to the dose I had been taking.

The hardest part is that I am most sore 1st thing in the morning and just before bed, and that is when I have to do the heaviest lifting and work with my husband. It also gets bad if I just sit around, but I have to rest sometime.:sad:

Hey Paulette,

I don't know if it is a combination of age and hard work, but I have had aches and pains too. I got a raging case of tennis elbow and I know darn well that it is from lifting and pulling and pushing my husband. I couldn't even sleep it hurt so bad. The only thing I could do was try to not use it for a couple of weeks and get my kids to do all the lifting. that really helped, and then when I did start using it again I really concentrated on using my legs instead of my back and arms.

Hello! I agree...caregiver elbow, shoulder aches, neck pain (darn arthritis) and wrist pain. So sorry to hear about your pain as well. Nothing in hands or feet per se but I always wear my tennis shoes to avoid plantar fasciitis and for support when helping adjust my hubby! For what it's worth I found a great topical analgesic at the local vitamin store! I use it every night before bed on legs, bottom of feet and neck! Hope you find some relief! A couple a neighbors guys are doing the lift at night until I get the hoyer going--like Barbie said a good break to rest the aching body parts really helps!

I am his sole care giver, so the only time I get a break is when we visit the VA for stuff, and even then I usually settle him at night. His daughter helps around the house, and feeds him at supper, but no getting up or settling. My son helped when they were visiting at Christmas, and my eldest son who does live here has 2 jobs, so I hate to bother him. I may look into having come to the house to settle him, but I feel like it is my job because I took an LOA from work to care for him.

Mostly I know that it is me having difficulty asking for help, and letting go. I have never had a house keeper because they don't do it the way that I would. I feel like if I am paying somebody they should do it as well or better, but they don't. And believe my I know what a psychologist would say about that. I actually did some councelling to help me take time for myself, and deal with the aches and pains, as I know that a lot has to do with the stress of the situation. I failed miserably. They told me all the things I already knew, but have been unable to do.
Maybe I will call my son and ask if he could stay with my husband while I go out with a friend. I guess putting this down is helping me work it out.

Marie what is the cream that you use? I have a pretty good one that I got from the health food store as well, but it is almost all gone, and I did have an anti inflammatory cream that was a prescription, but can't seem to find it of course.

Hello! I left you a msg with the name of the pain relief product! I haven't posted much but I think if I post the name here my response will go to moderation! I don't want to break the rules! Haha

Getting help....oh there are so many things we can teach counselor a and all well meaning friends and relatives! It's very emotional on a bunch of different levels and even the people who are around our pals don't seem to get it! But we have our forum friends thank god!

One thing I did is tell my night lift helpers that it was just temporary. Eased my mind to think they would only bop in for the lift once I had my pals completely ready. Two week trial just started last week. Of course everyone wants to be a part of helping and they get to do their caring act or ministry! Once they lift and help me lay my pals down I do the rest getting ready for bed routine! I fought it for a long time but I don't want to get hurt and have someone here all the time! Of course we do it the best!

You'll have to see what works for you. The other thing that helps my neck is a nice pack in my pillow case for a short time before sleep--not sure if something like that would work for your hands or feet?!

You're doing a wonderful job! And you're not alone in the help dept with kids at home! Hang in there!

~~ ice pack not "nice" pack as written off my phone this early a.m.! See above post! Although the ice pack is quite nice! Oops getting punchy--up way too early adjusting my hubby!

You know it is ironic that around 7 years ago I ruptured a disc in my neck while moving a patient with ALS and had to have surgery to repair it. I sport a new high tech disc and 2 titanium rods in my neck, yet I have very little problems with it now. I was left with a deficit in my left arm, but it is hanging in there better than my right one.
It is really nice to have a place to go and vent a bit, and I appreciate that even though all the CALS here have massive responsibilities they still take time out to support each other. I thank God for all you people every day. I have so much to be grateful for, so I feel guilty and foolish when I feel the need to complain. My regular friends look so grief stricken when I say anything that I just don't.

And the PALS on this site are also amazing, so straight forward, and grateful for every day that God allows them. A world full of people with the personalities of the PALS & CALS would be amazing. I know that many are dealing with FTD but before that came along it sounds like they must have been special people or I don't think their families wouldn't be taking the effort to keep them at home.

you have to be able to ask for and accept help too!

There is no use in not asking for short term help from the daughter or son and then you become seriously in pain and require more help for longer or even permanently. The number one thing a caregiver needs to do is take care of themselves too, so they can continue to do their job.

I understand, I do. I remember calling a guy neighbor early on for help with a house problem that I could not fix. he hemmed and hawed, and then declined to help me. I hung up the phone and bawled like a baby because I was so embarrassed to be asking for help in the first place and then was rejected (of course he had offered to help any time...) that is the exception though, and you must be humble enough to ask for things you need--and YOUR physical and mental health are important and necessary!

I think if you tell the kids that you are in pain and need to rest your joints for a couple off weeks they can step up. there are 2 of them--so it won't be every time for either one.

As far as getting out with a girlfriend--you should do that too, and it doesn't matter if you took a LOA to care for your husband, you are caring for him but all caregivers need and deserve breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back