Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
K
City
K
Hello,

I have had an ongoing fear of ALS throughout the last month, and whilst I hope I am being obsurd, I fear I am not. Around 9 months ago I began having joint pains when they are exerted. This has been ongoing but at times gets better. I also have suffered from chest pain (which was assumed muscular) and easily pulled muscles. Throughout the last few weeks I have been experuencing what I think to be fasciculations un my left foot and calf. I can only describe the foot ones as what seems like a heavily increased pulse beat. They feel like an increased pulse and look rather similar. They do around two beats and stop (or at leasr I think). Today whilst sitting on my legs I got pins and needles in this foot, and a few moments after noticed my calf was twitching. This was different from the foot ones. I couldn't really feel it and it was much more mild in its apperence. I find it hard to describe but it was like a twitchy beat around part of my calf. It lasted for probably a minute or less.

Are these fasciculations? Is this like ALS?

I thank you in advance for responding, and sorry if I sound like a complete nut :)

Hello,

Fasciculations are an involuntary muscle contraction and relaxation (muscle twitch).

Fasciculations are common.

Healthy people have fasciculations.

Most fasciculations are not due to any disease process. (Benign Fasciculations)

There are are many over the counter medications that may prompt them. After a stressful day you may find you're having a twitch here or there when your tense muscles begin to relax. This is normal.

Most people don't find them bothersome. If you find them annoying and interfere with your quality of life, you should see your doctor.

EnglishRose

You started a thread a few days ago and did not even mention the symptoms which you now claim to have been experiencing for some weeks. I suggest that you consult your doctor since you appear to be having problems with your memory...

Grateful,

I thought not much of the foot symptoms until today. I was asking a specific question in that post, so didn't post all my symptoms as I know I sometimes have a.tendancy to clump unrelated things together.

EnglishRose

An alternative explanation is that having failed to get anyone to agree with you on your first thread you are trying again with a different set of symptoms in a new thread in the hope that this time you will find someone to agree with you.

You really need to see your doctor; no-one here is going to give you what you want...

Grateful,

I think you have completely misunderstood my intentions (although I am sure you'll disagree). You are making me sound like I am creating new symptoms because I want to have als?!?, which is quite ludicrus as I am sure no one in this world would want to have this disease. I am merely worried and was just seeking some guidance. I apologise if I have offended anyone by this thread.

We can not advise you about your particular fasciculations over the internet as we can not observe them through words on a computer screen. Also, we are not doctors and are not a substitute for doctors. Since these muscle twitches are concerning you, your best course of action is to see an actual doc tor. Be sure to have any tests the doctor recommends performed as scheduled and follow all advice, suggestions, and treatment plans given by the doctor. If you are not happy with those, then consult a different doctor for a second opinion. After all that, come back and let us know what happened. Good luck!

English Rose,

It makes it much easier on the folks that answer if you keep all your symptoms in one thread. It's very hard for most here to look in multiple threads for information. Remember, many here are typing with a dot attached to their glasses. Why not make it easy on them?

As is in the sticky posts--twitches in ALS come when the muscle is dying. There is almost always associated LOSS OF FUNCTION or clinical weakness.

No clue why that went to moderation.

Twi tches or fasci in ALS come from mus cle DYING. There is associated clin ical weak ness. Not the same as general twitching. Read the sticky posts. They explain it very well.

Please keep your ques tions in one place. It's much easier on those that respond.

Make an appointment with your GP and go from there. Good luck!

English rose, you have health anxiety!

Sitting on your legs...........of course it causes pins and needles
Pain in joints that come and go.............NOT a symptom of ALS
A little bit of twitching in your foot............very common to get twitching on and off in hand and feet. Probably myokymia not fasciculations.

How you can even have ALS on your radar is beyond me.

All I can say is keep off this forum and talk to your doctor.

Please go see your GP with your health concerns. There is no way in the world anyone here could diagnose you.

Hello,

I have had an ongoing fear of ALS throughout the last month, and whilst I hope I am being obsurd, I fear I am not. Around 9 months ago I began having joint pains when they are exerted. This has been ongoing but at times gets better. I also have suffered from chest pain (which was assumed muscular) and easily pulled muscles. Throughout the last few weeks I have been experuencing what I think to be fasciculations un my left foot and calf. I can only describe the foot ones as what seems like a heavily increased pulse beat. They feel like an increased pulse and look rather similar. They do around two beats and stop (or at leasr I think). Today whilst sitting on my legs I got pins and needles in this foot, and a few moments after noticed my calf was twitching. This was different from the foot ones. I couldn't really feel it and it was much more mild in its apperence. I find it hard to describe but it was like a twitchy beat around part of my calf. It lasted for probably a minute or less.

Are these fasciculations? Is this like ALS?

I thank you in advance for responding, and sorry if I sound like a complete nut :)

How old are you and what has your GP tell you ?
Anyone that sits on their legs would experience pins and needles .your interfering with your circulation .You made that happen because you sat on your legs
And all your other symptoms don't sound like ALS.
How many doctors did you see and test did you take to think this is .Of all things ALS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back