Diagnosis
01/2009
Country
AU
State
victoria
City
greenvale
To say that my dear sweet husband Shane Grant passed away September 8th. He was 52 years of age. I want to say thankyou to those people we corresponded with and also thankyou to the administrators for making this site available. We felt so isolated and simply just being able to log in and read about people going through some of the same things that we were going through helped a great deal.

Unfortunately my husbands passing was traumatic and terrible. My only comfort is that I managed to keep him home until the end which is what he wanted.

I met Shane on the internet in March 2008. We had a brief happy normal life as a couple til Jan 2009 when he was diagnosed with ALS. We married May 2010. When we married we had to have the ceremony in our bedroom and he was on the BiPAP 24/7. We had special permission for him to sign the wedding certificate with a finger print as his hands no longer moved. When we met I said I came with three teenage children and he said "well I don't scare easily" and true to his word he didn't. He was a wonderful father and husband and it broke my heart to see him suffer while still trying every day to be positive and to think of us and our needs. He did not want to leave this world and we fought so hard for him to stay.

When we had the funeral I was asked to choose three songs. One for when we were all getting seated, one in the middle and one as the casket was lowered. He had a wicked sense of humour. So the first song was Johnny Cash's "burning ring of fire" just for those in wheelchairs if you get my meaning. The second song was a peaceful song by Israel Kamakowiwo "Somewhere over the rainbow" and the last song as the casket was lowered was from me to him and it was Roberta Flacks "The first time ever I saw your face". I had an open casket just for the immediate family and I am glad I did as he looked so at peace. The trauma from his illness had left his face and I had a different memory to take away with me instead of how he looked when he passed away. I got to kiss him one last time and funny thing is I half expected him to open his eyes and smile back at me. Isn't that silly. People have said it was a beautiful service and that has comforted me greatly.

Sleep sweet Shane

So sorry for your loss. It sounds like a wonderful, although short time together. Thank you for sharing, I hope it helps you. Huggggs.

Sorry for your loss. Glad you had time together though it was brief and filled with illness. The memorial should be a reflection of your loved one, yours was.

You brought tears to my eyes with your wonderful love story. I like your song choices - the two of you must have had in common a sense of humor; that first one tells it all! My condolences for the loss of your sweetheart.

Very sorry for your loss...Please accept my prayers and condolences.

I am so sorry to hear of your husbands passing.I really want to tell you how much of a special person that you are.You married the man you loved knowing that he had an incurable disease.May God Bless you & your children & give you peace.

Sharon

I am so sorry for your loss. The love you shared with your husband was evident in your post. Wishing you blessings of peace.
Meg

Thank you for sharing with us. I am so sorry for your loss. I admire that you stood by Shane.

So sorry for the loss of Shane, but you have filled my heart with joy, in the knowledge that wonderful people like you exist in this world.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Dana

I am so moved by your story; and appreciate you sharing it with us here. I also gained three children when I married, and I cherish my family dearly. There is such sadness in your life; but great love and courage as well.

I also happen to live in Victoria, and as I write this morning the sun is finally shining and a warm day looks promising at last; although there is still some frost on the hill. Perhaps this long, grey winter is finally over Chriss? Wishing you peace and hope.
Roderick.

Chriss you and Shane had to be brave, beautiful, special people. I am so sorry for your loss of Shane. I wish you peace and loving memories of a very special man.

Chriss, I am so sorry for the passing of Shane, what a wonderful love story you both shared together. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the family. Shane will be missed by all. Big Hugs

Chris I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute you wrote for Shane. Love to you.
Laurel

Chriss.....I join the others in my sorrow for you and the loss of Shane. I share with you a very short love story. I hope that your heart will heal and your memories hold fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back