Diagnosis
08/2000
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Leaskdale
Here in Canada we are having our Thanksgiving weekend. Mom (Tom's) has been in the hospital for a rather lengthy stay because post hip surgery she became badly infected and needed a lot of antibiotic treatment. In the meantime, sis-in-law and I became acquainted. Ya, this family is really that disfunctional. We planned that together WE would hold Thanksgiving and spring mom from the hospital for the event. (August conversation): Her place if the weather was nice so we could eat in the garage and avoid stairs. My place if the weather was bad as I have only 3 small well placed steps (ALS prep, MY house is disabled friendly).

In the meantime, last Friday mom gets to come home to stay. I emailed sis-in-law to ask about our plans and see if --since mom is home -- we should hold the event at mom's house so we didn't have to move her at all, and inquiring about what to cook and who will do which part cause time's a wastin'.

WELL! I got a phone call taking a strip off both sides, front AND back because "what has changed? Who are YOU to be changing everything? I have been planning this and have Marsh's family (her significant other) coming! and bla bla bla.....

Well - I never -

Needless to say, I have accepted my un-invitation to the FAMILY Thanksgiving.
OH and By The Way -- Christmas will now be different too because you don't get to bite me twice!

DO NOT PUSH ANYONE WHO HAS TO DEAL WITH ALS AND FTD!

My new motto -- You CANT MAKE ME; I WONT DO IT

Maybe it's your SIL's who's got the FTD, not your PALS?

What is it about holidays that bring out the worse in families anyway? It seems that we are always treading lightly around a few people in our lives, no matter what the occasion... I feel for you, and hope you have a good Thanksgiving... if Tom wants to go see his Mom, just show up after dinner with a dessert and the hell with the SIL! :)

I'm in the same boat as you. I told everyone (17 in all) I'm not cooking this Thanksgiving and going out to eat. If they don't like it, too bad so sad.

Jerks. Im glad you are standing your ground- thats important. Sorry though... Im sure it must be painful.
what a turd head!

I hope you enjoy just a nice immediate family Thanksgiving. Sometimes I'm glad I have no family other than my daughter.

Wow some people are just so selfish. Stand your ground, good for you!

When I had a place I always had everyone at my place since then the all want thier own.

Last couple years I have to do 2 dinners, one at daughters/afternoon, one at son's/evening...think they could get it together...nooooooo

So much for equal opportunity mom and nana...:p

This year think I'm leaving town and having only ONE!

My new motto -- You CANT MAKE ME; I WONT DO IT

I like it! Don't worry about them! The more you tell them "it ain't happenin' your way," the more opportunity for them to get a clue!

I have in-laws that were like that, but some are coming around now. It seems some of my own family are the clueless at this time, when I actually thought they understood.

"You can't make me!" is a great thing for all cALS to keep as a mantra.

Thanks all y'all! I knew you would get it.
We did have a nice meal, I invited my mom and my soon-to-be-daughter-in-law's grandma (who would otherwise have had no turkey) to our table. They both had a really good time. Tom, however, decided to abstain from company and had a nap while we ate. His big meal was a spoonful of peanut butter. Well, you cannot please them all! He had his turkey Sunday, leftovers.

Ah, the leftovers..........mmmmmm........

Turkey soup, turkey sandwiches, turkey nachos, turkey....

Glad you had a good time, I always like it when extra people can come over, makes me feel like the original intent of what Thanksgiving is supposed to be like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back