Diagnosis
5/2008
Country
US
State
Ga
City
Snellville
So, who all thinks it will be "the" cure? How long do you think it will take? Just interested in hearing your opinions...

Sent you a PM on an article. About 4 yrs according to this article.

Hi Phil
I really hope it will be the cure. Or at least a really good treatment. Unfortunately, I dont know enough about science and medicine so i have no clue what the potential is. What bothers me is that whoever it is thats in charge of making the decision about if its right or wrong to use stem cells doesnt seem to have a very compassionate heart. I dont wish illness on anyone, but i wonder how many of these folks would change their minds if one of THEIR loved ones had an incurable disease?!

sadiemae- could you post it so the rest of us could see it please? Thank you

It is awaiting approval. It is also posted at Perma link # 18 under the thread "Emory stem cell" in the ALS Research news forum.

I think stem cells could have a big impact not sure about a "cure" but perhaps show a significant slow down. The question could be what kind of stem cells? Fetal, embryonic, adult, stem cells from bone marrow, stem cells from skin they need to explore them all to see which one's are the most effective. Then the next question becomes about the safest and most effective delivery system into the body.

Right now there is no one really saying they are a cure all but they are the best hope out there. There is just a lot of unanswered questions out there that research will hopefully answer.

Also keep in mind, that to my knowledge nothing out that is being explored will revert the damage already done. It is all about protecting the remaining stem cells therefore slowing down progression and then hopefully figuring out how to perhaps stop progression.
One step at a time, unfortunatly with this disease as everyone knows time is precious!

Don't think I have 4 years to spare! I don't like hearing Dr Glass saying he is not sure if it will work for ALS.....such a stupid disease!

sorry but dont know how to start new thread . was really interested to hear all about supplements and made some notes , will give them a try
i was diagnosed with very probable MND in april .i first noticed suble small changes [ leg dragging slightly and startle reflex ] around june 2009. in this short time i have become wheelchair bound [ although i can weight bear with help to transfer to and from the toilet and car ] , i have virtually lost the use of my hands and arms and am having probs eating and speaking. the consultant sees me every 3 months just to see how i am deteriorating. i will not have a PEG or trachi ans as i am progressing so rapidly worry about how much time i have left. this is having such a terrible effect on my chhildren and elderly parents [ i am supposed to be looking after them!] so my only alternative is to go for stem cell or just give in. has anyone tried it ?

I don't think stem cells would work if the underlying cause of the ALS isn't stopped. Wouldn't the new nerve cells just be destroyed by the disease that claimed the original nerve cells?

"I don't think stem cells would work if the underlying cause of the ALS isn't stopped. Wouldn't the new nerve cells just be destroyed by the disease that claimed the original nerve cells?"

I asked that exact question to my neurologist at a meeting once and was told that yes, the new cells might be subject to the same destruction process as our original cells but that if it worked then they might be able to overwhelm the destruction process with new cells. In other words, not a cure but an effective treatment much like diabetes is not cured but is managed in an ongoing basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back