05/2010
Country
US
State
NC
City
Wake Forest
hi,

We are moving and purchasing a home closer to family. We are finding master bedrooms down to be a tougher find than we thought it would be. Would love to hear first hand opinions of how well the stair lift works. My husband is about 6' and 240lbs. He can still walk well, he doesn't do long distances or stairs when he can avoid them.

Thanks,

Stephanie

Stephanie, I had a stairlift in our house. Unless your husband never loses his legs, the stairlift will not carry him through the disease. Should he become unable to transfer on his own, you won't want him using the stairlift. There has to be a transfer on each end from a power wheel chair to ? This was our predicament. I got by with a rollator upstairs for a long time, but eventually it was impossible to transfer.

We moved to where a lift could be put in (a split level). Could you look for a house where you can make a room into a bedroom with widened doors and also a shower room on the ground floor? Lots of times modification is do-able.

We have a Bruno stair glide. Upstairs are the kids 2 bedrooms, and 2 full baths. Downstairs is a half bath, kitchen, dining room, den, and living room, which we converted into our bedroom. The only time the stair glide is used is when he has to take a shower. It works for us now, and it is nice that our main living quarters are on the main floor. We could use the Master bedroom upstairs, but being upstairs is very warm(even with the AC) so very glad we are downstairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back