Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
VNM
State
Hanoi
City
Hanoi
I am in the process (2.5 years now) of being diagnosed with PLS (or similar) - they seem to have ruled out MS and ALS. My question : my (still emerging) symptoms are only evident on the left side of the body, left foot and leg, left hand and arm. Is that possible for PLS?

Any comment is welcome.
Cheers, Vennie

it sure is....amonst many other reasons.......

That's what I have and that's the direction they keep going in (PLS). I also have some problems with speech, drool, etc. but it comes and goes.

reading this again, i realise my reply could be misconscrewed......so al try again..left side weakness is part of pls..and other probs also.........sorry did"nt want to confuse..to be honest i confuse myself easily.....in fact i dont know if i"m confused or not..thats how confused i get..........am not confused now...anyway good luck .................olly will give you a sensible reply i am sure.............

Vennie from Vietnam,

Mostly my left side is affected at least that I am aware of. Perhaps if it progresses it will affect the right side. Johnny Liverpool has confused me for now.LOL

ND

mine started in my right side...and progressed to the left, then upward to my hands and arms and shoulders and now my neck and speech are slightly affected. I am still waiting for a diagnosed even though everything else has pretty much been ruled out. They still wont write it in my file yet. Have to go to mayo clinic to get the official diagnosed I guess (according to all the docs up here).

my left has always given me more trouble,if anything untoward happens its in the left then goes to the right.
i ofton wonder why footdrop is usually in the left foot.
another thing,a stroke is always the left hand side.
seems the left hand side of the body is naturally weaker so prone to worse symptoms.
maybe a neuro can answer this if we ask.
akmom does your hubby know?

Dancer.........Confucios say,,confusion is the night of the sky, without moon or star.........thanks olly.....johnny

Olly my hubby is a programmer. I think its Aly who's hubby is neuro doc. My stoke did effect the left side more but I had gained most of that back. I am ambedexious with writing with my left as dominance and kicking with my right. I also threw right handed and cut with the sizzors right handed...so when I started having right sided problems (years before the stroke) it effected my job as a soccer coach as I could no longer play with the kids in the same way I had been doing and found that running was becoming impossible. I wonder if right or left sided dominance plays a role in which side we notice our weakness first?

Ok guys, for clarification, strokes can be left or right or even midline. In my career I saw more left sided strokes or CVA's but certainly there were a lot of right sided ones.

Left strokes affect the right side and right strokes affect the left side. If a stroke patient's speech is affected it is because the speech center is on the left side of the brain but that same person's right side is the affected side.

Nd

Last edited:
My symptoms started right side, but everything is pretty symmetrical now that I am weak and spastic all the way into my neck. I definitely started with a right leg limp though. My doc, like yours, verbally says PLS and writes something else (in my case, HSP). No one I have come across has heard of either, so I am explaining it to the docs either way, so aside from difficulty with getting SSI, no biggie.

three yrs ogo i typed in computer ..startle reflex and something else..up popped a site listing about 40 people across america who had pls...sadly i lost that site probably because i did"nt take it to seriously, although the symptoms fitted me. well , you tend to make most symptoms fit, don"t you?.anyway, to get to the point, the main symptom was left and/or right, arm and leg weakness..interesting!.....followed by having to use a cane for walking, slapped foot ,stiffness and the startle reflex.....and all had spasticity.......bulbar, twitches and such hardly got a mention from what i recall............confused? not me...johnny......................

:roll:sorry,got confused with the names,meant alyoop.

johnny,your a quick learner..........you'll be giving those neuros a run for there money:lol:

olly, am getting there. thanks to these boards and your advise............pls is one thing...als , well thats way off the scale....anyways am finding i am quite enjoying the pls discussions...not sure if thats right to be like that!....suppose one can only be oneself.......anyone ever had bumps running across their chests...yes goosebumps marching my chest above the nipple area.....had it three nights running accompanied by shortness of breath...the neuro actually gave me his phone number for emergency...a rare decent neuro i may say...never happened again though...although i had an other strange occurences..i. e, whole body pounding. like blood pressure rising..like starting a car on a very cold morning , boom boom boom...erratic!.....stopped soon as i moved from my seat...that happened three times also and never returned after.........now i think. looking back in hindsight. i know what it was and why the neuro was conxerned.......................but i would like some confirmation from anyone before i put my big mouth to the test....loves, the pool.........

not sure what your experiencing but it does sound like its heart related (but I am not a doc nor do I profess to know anything about anything). I hope you get things worked out and stablized Johnny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back