Diagnosis
07/2007
Country
US
State
NC
City
Raleigh
The good folks at CanAssist at the University of Victoria, BC, in Canada have created and made available for public use a new program called Dynamic Keyboard. Dynamic Keyboard is an alternative text entry program for users who have motor control problems that make it difficult to use a regular computer keyboard.

Dynamic Keyboard also has word prediction capability which can help reduce the number of keystrokes necessary to enter a particular word. This increases your effective typing speed while reducing the actual physical effort needed.

Dynamic Keyboard can also be easily configured to act as an input front end for a Windows text to speech system.

The Dynamic Keyboard | CanAssist

In my opinion, as a long term Dasher user who is quickly losing the ability to control a trackball or mouse with my remaining usable hand, I think that Dynamic Keyboard will be easier to use while adjusting to using either a headmouse or an eyegaze system. I did, in fact, type this entire post using the builtin webcam on my laptop, Camera Mouse 2010, Dynamic Keyboard, and about an hour's worth of practice with the combination.

Hey, I just read again your post on the keyboard asst technology. One would think that your bkgd was in sp. ed. or computers or both. First of all, nice job. Dynamic Keyboard may be something I will need before too long. I was debating whether or not to begin a 1-hand typing strategy, but now my L hand is being a booger too. What's strange is that I live about 2 miles from Prentke Romich Co. in Ohio. Their AAC devices are more designed for kids with autism and other issues, yet their ECO2 is interesting (and expensive) Here is their web site,(Prentke Romich Company - Home) although you likely already are familiar with them. I want to say thanks for your thread. I will add comments when and if I feel competent about it. The camera download also looks promising. I am told that I should begin search and training on asst comm before I totally need them. This really helps. JK

Hi, Ratman55. Yes, I do have a computer background. I was a software tester for about ten years and finished my software career working on the technical support staff for a company that built voice recognition and speech synthesis systems. Since my retirement from my job about a year ago, I've made it my hobby to keep up with developments in the alternative and augmentive communications (AAC) field.

And yes, the sooner you get started with alternative methods of computer usage, the better off you will be. Companies like Prentke-Romich build wonderful technology, but that technology is very expensive and, in some cases, has a very steep learning curve, so it's probably wise to have a slightly lower tech solution at hand to tide you over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back