Diagnosis
07/0009
Country
US
State
XXX
City
XXX
I was wondering if anyone had a chance to read the "Brain Recovery" by Dr.Perlmutter.
He pioneered the Glutathione treatment protocol for Parkinson disease.
I'm interested in knowing other members opinion on this book/program.

Where did you find it? I would love to read it!

I also would love to find the medication so I could do IV infusions on my husband!

I picked up Perlmutter's "Better Brain Book" last week. It has a chapter on his program for ALS, which looks to be much the same as what he does for Parkinson's. I've been seeing a holistically oriented MD who has been wanting to try Perlmutter's program on me. This doctor has had good results with it for PD. So I've started the glutathione IV injections 3 days/week for the last week and a half. Hard to say if I'm seeing improvement, my speech is somewhat variable anyway. I've had a couple of good days and some bad ones too. No improvement in hand strength. We'll need more time to see if it is helping.

My wife is learning to do IVs so she can do it for me at home - the doctor's office is an hour's drive away. He is very supportive and is teaching her. I'm not sure where we will get the glutathione and IV supplies, presumably we can get them from the same place the doctor does, maybe with a prescription. Probably will be a couple more weeks before we are ready to transition to doing it at home.

Joel has reported that he had good results with IV glutathione a few years ago. Search on the forums for glutathione and you can find some discussion. He took a somewhat higher dose. Perlmutter says he does 1400 mg 3 times a week. I think Joel did that much 6 times a week. I am now doing 1600 mg 3 times a week. My doctor is also putting some B vitamins and magnesium in the mix. The magnesium causes hot flashes, he says it opens up the blood vessels so perhaps will help the glutathione to penetrate better.

I should add that the conventional medical wisdom is that IV glutathione probably won't work because not enough gets across the blood brain barrier into the nerve cells that are affected by ALS. However this is a pretty high dose, so maybe some does get across into the nerves; and also, the body is complicated and ALS is largely a mystery, so it is possible it could help via some other pathway. I read some research once hinting that ALS may be associated with problems with blood vessels. Or there was that one last week about ALS patients having problems with their thymus glands. There could be a lot of things going on, glutathione is a good antioxidant and could be helpful for many different conditions.

Hal, Thank you for sharing your information. I have a suggestion for your home IV pushes. [I am a RN] Explore with your Dr. the possibility of using a Heparin lock. A simplified explanation. It is a IV catheter with a little "button" on the end. The Dr. could place it and you would need to flush it after every infusion. It should last about 5 days before being replaced. You would have to monitor it for patency and S/S of infection. It is just a little more involved than that but not too much. If your wife is having difficulty with the venipuncture procedure this would be an alternative. No one has told me yet where I can actually find a source to purchase the glutathione. HELP!

I have posted this information several times before, but here it is again.

You need to find someone to write a prescription for Glutathione - that might be the biggest challenge you will have. If you have a decent relationship with your GP then he/she might be willing, otherwise you will likely have to work with a naturopath. In western Canada we have a chain of drug stores called Peoples Drug Mart, they have dispensing labs and can make it. I did this for awhile then got to know a pharmacist with a small dispensing lab and he started making it for me. So you might be better to phone around to the pharmacies in your area and see what you come up with.
I paid $43.00 for a 30ml bottle which lasts just over 4 days.

I did an "IV Push" of 7ml (1400 mg) daily.

I used a 10 ml syringe and a 25ga winged infusion set which has orange wings. Having a smaller needle makes it easier on veins.

The Glutathione label reads;

30ml Reduced l-Glutathione 200mg/ml
ATP 1mg/ml - pHadjusted with NaOH - 0.66mOsmol/ml

I hope this is what you were asking for.

this is close to a question i just posted

indigosd ---you can get it at wellness pharmacy in Birmingham Alabama their number is 1-800-227-2627. check it out on web site even have different way's to do it

i wil also check in to the thymus gland i can believe this one as i know how the thyroid affect's muscles and the thymus controlls the thyroid new adventure for me

I'm going to have my doctor check my vitamin d levels and T-cell count (in conjunction with the thymus gland). T4: T8 ratio is especially important from what I understand. ALL pALS should have this done, IMHO.

Big Mike,

Will you let us know the results of testing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back