Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
IA
City
Cedar Falls
Have often heard the term clinical weakness on these boards. Does that just mean weakness diagnosed by a doctor? Example: if my GP does hand and arm strength tests and tells me that my left arm and grip is weaker than my right, does that mean I have clinical weakness?

I would say no. Grip strength can vary from left to right. Your dominant side is usually the stronger.

Clinical weakness would be determined with counter motions the doctor puts you through. He will ask you to push and pull against his resistance. Your hands, arms, legs and feet are checked this way.

If the doctor can push against you and there is little or no resistance on your part, you would most likely show clinical weakness.

Someone spank me if I'm wrong...

Zaphoon

Sure he does. Maybe we should form a line...no, a gauntlet! We could all get a good smack in, you know, as long as he is asking for it. :smile:

Anon

You seem to be very concerned about weakness in the neck/shoulder area after looking over some of your posts? Have you had an EMG yet or seen a neurologist?

I think a neurologist would be a good place to start and get a good clinical exam. If there is clinical weakness, they will be able to tell it without just testing grip strength. That really isn't a test they use to check for shoulder weakness.

Do you have access to a good neurologist? What are you symptoms?

Hey Kristin,
Thanks for your response. I mention what has been going on in the thread about pinched nerves. Have worked with neurosurgeon, meet neurologist today, EMG at end of month. If you have any insight I would greatly appreciate it. Doctor and PT have both said I have noticable weakness in left hand grip and in tests involving the shoulder area, along with some atrophy. What's weird is that the hand strength has improved somewhat since the surgery, while the weakness and fascics in shoulder, delt and lat area have really increased, as well as some advancement to the right side.

My hiney is padded! I wouldn't feel a thing (ha, ha)! Just don't taser me...

Hey, if your hand got better after surgery, its a good bet it hasn't been effected by ALS.

PZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back