01/2007
Country
US
State
tx
City
Houston
I found this on Yahoo News.

By STEPHEN OHLEMACHER, Associated Press Writer Stephen Ohlemacher, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON – President-elect Obama's transition chief said Sunday the incoming administration is looking to reverse President Bush's executive orders on stem cell research, oil and gas drilling and other matters.

John Podesta said the president can use such orders to move quickly without waiting for Congress to act, highlighting the extraordinary powers a president can wield beyond signing legislation approved by Congress. Podesta said people should expect Obama to use those powers to reverse many policies of the Bush administration.

"I think across the board, on stem cell research, on a number of areas, you see the Bush administration even today moving aggressively to do things that I think are probably not in the interest of the country," Podesta said in a broadcast interview.

"There's a lot that the president can do using his executive authority without waiting for congressional action, and I think we'll see the president do that," Podesta said.

President Bush has limited federal spending on stem cell research, a position championed by opponents of abortion rights. Obama has supported the research in an effort to find cures for diseases such as Alzheimer's.

Also, the federal Bureau of Land Management is opening about 360,000 acres of public land in Utah to oil and gas drilling, leading to protests from environmentalists.

"They want to have oil and gas drilling in some of the most sensitive, fragile lands in Utah," Podesta said. "I think that's a mistake."

Podesta also said Obama is working to build a Cabinet that is diverse. That includes reaching out to Republicans and independents — part of the broad coalition that supported Obama during the race against Republican John McCain.

A top House Republican said there is a willingness to try to work with Obama to get things done. But Rep. Eric Cantor also said to expect Republicans to serve as a check against the power held by Obama and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a Democrat from California.

"There is going to be, I think, a willingness to try and get things done," Cantor said. "But at the end of the day I think you will see a Republican Party in Congress serving as a check and a balance against Mr. Obama's power and Speaker Pelosi's power."

Cantor, a Virginia Republican, is running to be the second-ranking Republican in the House — the job of minority whip.

Cantor and Podesta spoke on "Fox News Sunday."

Thanks for posting that. It is good news indeed.

Ditto....although we cannot vote here in the USA...even though we own property and pay taxes...it is good to see some support for the cause..Every little helps .Well done Obama

great news

that makes my day Thank you

I am very hopeful that 2009 will bring great things in the way of stem cell research. I understand that human stem cell clinical trials are set to begin in the U.S. in 2009 (Note - I don't know where, when or by whom so if you know please post it up). Also, stem cell research is a major priority with this new presidency and I think that will cut out alot of the red tape.

I recently had a follow up visit with my neuro. One of the questions I asked him was about stem cell research and if it looked promising in the way of a cure or treatment towards motor neuron diseases? He gave me a very solid up and down head nod (meaning yes) and a smiley face. I also asked him if human clincal trial's with stem cells were going to begin in the U.S. this coming year (2009)? Again, he nodded is head up and down (meaning yes). I asked him if this cure or treatment would be available soon? I got the impression my doctor thought it would be more of a cure than a treatment but he said, "yes" it would be available in the near future.

My doctor didn't volunteer alot of information on the subject of stem cell research and I think thats why I kept getting the nodding and smiley faces. He is usually very vocal with me. I think it's because he knew the research was becoming very promising but didn't want to get my hopes up just yet.

Just to give you a little background on my doctor......he has very close ties to the Houston Medical Center which, is home to several leading research hospitals. I would never second guess or dismiss anything he told me.

Needless to say, my wife and I left his office feeling very excited and hopeful towards a promising future.

I hope this story brings a little of the same excitement and hopefulness to you.

That sure made Freddie smile when I read it to him...............He has always said that is they way............Hope............That is all we have......
netty

For the sake of clarification, President Bush was opposed to embryonic stem cell research, not stem cell research. As a Catholic, I fully support his position. You may also want to know that recent research has created pluripotent stem cells, which will hopefully eliminate the need to use embryonic stem cells. This will be great news for those of us opposed to the use of embryonic stem cells. Below I have included a portion of this article from Science Daily. If you want the full article, I can PM you the link.

"New Stem Cell Screening Tool Takes Adult Stem Cell Research To New Level

ScienceDaily (Sep. 8, this year) — Stem cell research is the next great leap in medicine. In the future, new tissue grown in a laboratory could replace a failing heart, or new cells take the place of damaged cells in the brain.

Rather than using stem cells from embryonic sources, which opens difficult ethical and complicated scientific issues, scientists have been looking to adult human stem cells, culled from a person's own body. Adult stem cells are now being cultivated from various tissues in the body -- from skin, bones and even wisdom teeth.

At the forefront in this research is a team of scientists from Tel Aviv University and Scripps Research Institute in California. They recently reported a breakthrough on a new classification system for identifying pluripotent stem cells in human tissue. News about this system recently appeared in the scientific journal Nature.

Pluripotent stem cells have the potential to differentiate into every distinct cell type in the developed human body. They hold great promise for use in drug development and the treatment of many devastating disorders."

I'm aware of the differences between embryonic and iPS stem cells. I'm also familiar with Pres. Bush's position on the two. I think Pres. Bush has limited federal spending on stem cell research in general and has not made it a priority. I'm also a Catholic and voted for Bush both times. Over time, I've realized that he hasn't always looked out for the best interest of the people. I don't want to turn this into a political thread but i'm glad he's gone and we have someone that will make stem cell research a top priority.

Thanks to all for explaining your positions on a courteous, intellectual level. That's what I really appreciate about this forum. :)

I, too, am looking forward to progress being made very soon. This is exciting news, TxRR!

TxRR:

I would disagree on your assessment of President Bush. PM me if you would like to continue the conversation as well as other issues related to our shared faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back