Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
FL
City
Sebring
My husbands side of the family has lost 6 men and 1 woman to FALs. The most recent my 33 year old BIL and my FIL who was in his 50's. Is there anyone else who has dealt with this. The progression is very quick, we lost both my BIL and FIL in less than a year. My hubby is not sympomatic at this time, but of course with every stumble, twinge, etc. It is right where I minds go.

Well, you can always talk to us. Hubby is probably too afraid to think of the possibilities, but we all know how this sort of thing can haunt one's mind.

We did have a family of PALS a few months ago but they have not posted in a long time, unfortunately. Maybe Al will remember them and know more of their history.

As for second-guessing every sign, that happens in families with a higher rate of cancer, dementia, and so on. It is only natural. My sibs and I are helping my Mom in her last stages of AZ, and every time one of us misplaces our house keys we think "not me, now!"

I hope this helps a little. Wish I could offer more...Cindy

Thanks Cindy. Hubby's attitude is positive, but it does haunt him. It has been concerning me more lately as he has taken to doing side jobs (physcal labor) when he usually works in an office. They cut hours way back at work so he has been trying to make up the difference. I am concerned about the phsical strain triggering or speeding up any progression. His uncle started his decline after a broken leg, and his brother after helping build a house.

My mother just passed away from ALS at the age of 78. She was an only child, and members of her family have died on the younger side, so I don't know if there's a family history.

But, yeah, I'm 44, the mother of four, and I'm concerned. I twitch constantly. But I have no weakness.

So.......................there's that.

Vitamin E

JC,

Your husband might consider starting vitamin E therapy now. Researchers analysing data from a huge cancer study run over 10 years noted a dramatically lower incidence of ALS in people who had been taking vitamin E for many years compared to those not taking it. Since reading this, I always thought that if I were at risk of FALS I would take it. No guarantees but no downside.
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/archives/2004-releases/press12172004.html

John

John, thank you. Hubby has been taking a multitude of vitamins including Vitamin E since his father's passing 3 years ago. We pray that it will help. His brother took them too. I will share the link with hubby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back