Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Texas
City
North Richland Hills
My husband Jim started losing his voice over 2 years ago.We have seen numerous doctors. Next he started having swallowing issue's We saw 4 neurologists and had many test.The last doctor ask about military service.He was in the Air Force.We have been lucky to get so much support so fast.The doctor's have said he had PBS, we are both in shock.He has had a peg now , which is great.My question is he has no other symptoms , he drives , cuts the grass , washes cars, is this normal for some patients?I hope I'm not crossing any lines , or offending anyone . I'm just so confused.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband. Do you mean PBP (progressive bulbar palsy)? If so, his symptoms could stay in the areas they are now for some time, or for the rest of his life. I'm glad he got the PEG. Does he have a device to help him communicate?

If it is your husband that is affected, please change your "interest" accordingly on your profile, as it helps us know you.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you Laurie, Jim had a peg placed in Oct.He said it was the first time he hadn't been thirsty in weeks.He does have a text to talk, so it's all a work in progress. Jim and I are both 70 , so we literally overwhelmed .You know , old dogs , new tricks?The VA calls daily about appointments. We have even been approved for a SAH grant .I hope I'm not sharing too much.

Of course not -- we all share a wide variety and depth here, Richland.

I am moving this thread to where you will get more responses.

I am very sorry to have to welcome you here, but welcome nonetheless.

My father and brother were both career Air Force. Very glad to know your husband will be able to take advantage of the VA benefits.

Steve

Sorry to see you here. If you haven't done so already, go to the Military and VA subforum and download the PDF attached to the sticky (first post on the forum). It contains a wealth of information for veterans.

Seeing that you are in North Richland Hills was your husband at Carswell? I was there from 1974 - 1981 before heading to Offutt.

Dave

He was stationed at Webb In Big Spring , Tx before going Korea .We have always lived in Fort Worth.

Dave , I'm so sorry you have been diagnosed with this disease too.

Live, welcome, I’m just sorry it has to be here. You will find this is a slice of heaven on earth for both caregivers (CALS) and the actual person with ALS(PALS). Ask away and we will do our best to help in anyway we can

Hugs,

Sue

Hi Live and welcome. Please feel free to ask any questions you want. I've posted so much about my life on this forum I could compile it into a book.

Thank you all for the warm welcome.I do have so many questions. Everyone is so kind here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back