Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Uni
State
TX
City
El Paso
So, I am not here for twitching. I never suspected ALS until my PT mentioned needing to see neurology/ortho for a muscle biopsy.

I tore my gastrocnemius in May. It is not healing. Not responding to PT. I have lost an inch of muscle mass in the last 5 weeks in that calf. I was told Friday there is nothing more PT can do until we know what is really going on. She mentioned ALS and muscular dystrophy as potential things neurology should consider.

When I went the muscle was not pulling away from the tibia, now it is and there is a valley on the front of my leg. There are two large separations where the gastrocnemius was/is/should be. All of the muscle that is visibly left is about an inch and a half wide.

After her asking, I had been stumbling before the tear and fell and scraped my knee in March. No twitching. I am still unsteady and have weakness in that leg.

Could this maybe really be ALS?

lmk79, I see no one has replied.

Not being sarcastic... what can we say? Your situation is considerable but your definitive answers will come from your Neuro/Ortho appointments. We have some very knowledgeable members that may chime in.
But... don't begin to convince yourself it's ALS by referring to Dr. Google before the appointments. :)

Keep in touch.

Hope for the better...

El Paso, ALS or adult-onset MD are both possible but not as likely as other explanations (e.g. the tear has enlarged since when you started PT, or it is the tendon in reality, or a hematoma has formed or there is bone tissue within the muscle). I wouldn't have a muscle bx until you've been examined by a neurologist and had an EMG, and had a 2nd ortho opinion, as well. And I would keep in mind that it's only ALS when everything else has been ruled out, which you're a ways from. I would stop PT, though, until you know more.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you. I got a referral for EMG today.

They did an xray, ultrasound, and MRI before sending me to PT. I think that is why they ruled a couple of the other things out already. I know they say they ruled out the bone in the muscle and the tendon rupture prior to sending me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back