Other
Country
FR
State
MP
City
Toulouse
Hi,
(I am French and English is not my native language. Sorry if there is some grammar mistakes)

I am a 23 yo man and I've been experiencing some symptoms that make me think about ALS.

I felt weak in my legs, and in recently in my arms too. However it is not constant. I can bike, run, grab things but, I feel weak.
Fasciculations in my calfs
Hyperreflexia tested by a doctor (I'm so afraid about this one). No Babinski sign.
And yesterday, I eat something but I choked a little and since it hurts my throat and I feel that swalling and yawning is more difficult...

I read the sticky, yet, I'm still concerned.
I went several times to my GP and he gave me an appt for a neuro (this thuesday) and medication for anxiety.

I can't help help thinking about it and I read tons of posts in this forum and feel the need to ask for advices.

Thank you all for your time

First edit : I had my blood checked.

Last edited:
Flippy, you did not describe ALS at all. ALS doesn't come and go. You don't feel weak with ALS.

Even some perfectly healthy people have Hyperreflexia.

Hi flippy your english is good :)

You don't describe ALS at all, keep working with your doctor to find out what is happening and I wish you all the best.

Thank you for your reply !
Yes it kinda comes and goes but at the same time I can feel a constant stiffness in my muscles even more after exercice. Sometimes walking is a bit harder.
I understand the difference between "feeling" and "failling" but I am afraid that these fellings are like the beginning. (I had these for 2.5 weeks)

I don't want to argue or say that you are wrong I justed wanted to add details.

Last edited:
Thank you also affected for your reply and the compliment ! I love english :)

It is so hard to not think about it. I never feel this worried in my life.

I guess I have to wait for further results and don't waste your time here :)

A little update..
My left leg is feeling very weak, twitching also a lot (even in my right leg but it seems to .
I walked a bit yesterday and after going home the weakness started in my calf and today it is in my entire leg. And it seems to not go away this time...
I feel pain sometimes in my knee joints and I have some small pain very briefly in my leg and foot. I am not sure about that, because I keep telling myself that I read on the sticky that pain =/= ALS.
I read that weakness could come gradually. But I may be wrong.
This with my hyperreflexia I'm loosing it :(

I'm so sad, I felt better yesterday and I wanted to forget this after posting here. But I can't.

Last edited:
I went yesterday.
I told him that I started to feeling numb and pain in both of my legs, but after a while this feeling was only in my left leg and now it is my right leg only.
He is not afraid because he thought that I am too young and that it targets both legs. (which is a false a the moment)
I am goint to see a neuro tomorrow, I am so nervous.
I can't find a post where there were fascis, weakness and hyperreflexia and it ended good.

Then you have not looked very well. this subforum has an abundance of posts complaining of hyperflexia ( insignificant without other findings ) twitches ( so common and usually benign) and perceived weakness ( again very common and usually ends up being nothing major)
Let us know the results from tomorrow

Thank you for your reply !
I meant that I didn't find a post with all the symptoms together.

They are there in that exact combination. I have been reading these posts for 4 years. You will also find them on aboutbfs and anxietyzone

TL;DR For those who doesn't want to bother reading. I have no ALS but a general anxiety state. (dunno if it means something in english :) )

Hello everyone,

I went to the neuro yesterday. I explained all my story about my fears and about my symptoms.

He then made me do some strength/cognitive/reflexia tests during 20 minutes. Also with my eyes, tongue, speech hands, you name it. From the start he said to me that ALS was ruled out.
He said to me that no RMI or EMG were necessary.
I told him at least 5 times that I was weak and feeling something wrong with my leg. That I can't walked for a long time ...
He told me no, you are sick but in your mind and those chemicals in your mind are messing badly with your body !
He told me to take some medecine to stop stress rushing in my body and advised me strongly to seek help to a psychatrist. I have an appt with the neuro in 2 months to check if my anxiety was treated and that it didn't affect my body anymore.

He joked with me a lot about my googling obscession and that I was able to tell my diagnosis with him at the same time... :)

There is little I can do to help people around here (apart from that red button that I will hit surely).
I wanted to thank you all, those who replied to this thread but also those who reply to others even with this awful disease. I wish you all my best, and I mean it.

Good for you, NO ALS.

You are still here 1.5 hours after posting however.

Hit that red button and close the door firmly behind you, and work with your doctors to live a long and happy life. Please stay off here now for your own sake.

Update :

I have now a small atrophy in the right shoulder. My right leg is still feeling weak (It's hard to walk after walking for a long distance) and my left arm aswell. I also have some difficulties swallowing food and twitchings are still here.
I started to worry again about ALS and I'm going to see my GP this afternoon... :(

I went to the neuro yesterday. I explained all my story about my fears and about my symptoms.

He then made me do some strength/cognitive/reflexia tests during 20 minutes. Also with my eyes, tongue, speech hands, you name it. From the start he said to me that ALS was ruled out.

I'm not sure why you are telling us you are back on the fear wagon. See your doctor, but then you wouldn't believe a neurologist either ...

I was not worried until I see that "hole" in my shoulder/back. I have pain after moving it. I also have hyperreflexia.
I was feeling angry about the feeling of weakness in my body but I was not worried.
I did not do any EMG nor MRI... My GP thought it was anxiety, I started a therapy to deal with that part.

I went to my GP last week because my right arm was feeling weak and that I couldn't move my middle finger for a short time. I had pain in all my body and he gave me medication for that. He told me that it is not anxiety anymore but he had no clue and told me that sometime this things come and go...

There is too many things that seems related that I can't help being worried. I am sorry if I waste someone's time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back