Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
NC
City
Littleton
That was Barb Long's FB post yesterday, that Jeff is now with Jesus.

Jeff's is the first public message to my account; he lead us to our wonderful PVA rep, and as a result helped us in so many more ways.

We were fortunate to meet Jeff, Barb, and their beautiful daughter Kaylee two years in a row in Washington DC, while lobbying for ALS funding with the ALSA. This year we enjoyed a wonderful dinner with them, sitting outside at a resturant on a lovely evening. As I recall, Matt and Jeff both parked their PWCs on the sidewalk, flanking the entrance to the dining area. Matt's transfer was difficult, Jeff was still able to walk.

What Jeff couldn't do is use his arms or hands. Barb fed him dinner, alternating a bite for him and bit for herself. They were the picture of a loving couple, laughing and smiling through the entire meal. For those who wonder, because of their open, loving enjoyment of the meal, there was nothing akward about it. People smiled at us, but there were no akward stares. In addition to being delightful company, on that evening they showed us that the future is what you make of it, regardless of your condition.

Last weekend's FB posts showed Jeff, Barb, and Kaylee at at football game. He was dressed in his jersey, and with assistance he stood for the national anthem. He looked wonderful. If you did not know about ALS, you would think him the picture of health--a testament to his inner light and his wonderful caretakers.

My heart greives everytime we lose a PALS, but this one is especially difficult for me. My grief is only assauged by the comfort I know his family feels because of their faith and the loving community they have built around themselves. We should all do it this well...

I am so sorry to hear. I have missed Jeff on the forums but was glad when he stopped by a while ago to check in. My heart is sad that he is gone from this earth but rejoice in his renewed freedom. I am glad he was making memories with his family right to the end

I am sorry to hear this too. Jeff always had something to give here and I missed him as he had to become less active here. I hope Barb finds peace quickly.

Thank you for posting this. Tom and I met Jeff and Barb in 2012 when we still lived in Durham. Jeff has just gotten a motorcycle. For us, it was Tom's last ride on his. He was barely able to clutch the brakes that day. He never rode it again after that. It was the one and only time we met with them in person. Soon after we moved to the coast. We kept in touch though. Jeff will be so missed. He was such a kind man, gentle spirit, and great sense of humor and family? They were his world.

Oh I am so sorry to hear this. I liked Jeff when ever he was on. I ate this disease so much

This disease has absolutely no rhyme or reason. I didn't know Jeff, but I know many of you were fond of him.
I'm so sorry everyone.
God bless, Janelle x

Peace for Jeff and his family. And for you Nuts. Losing a good friend is so hard.

I am so sorry to read about the passing of Jeff. Prayers for him and his friends and family during this difficult time.

I am so sad to read this news. I met Jeff here on the forums back in 2011 not long after my Dad was diagnosed. Jeff was an amazing man with such a gentle spirit about him and so funny! I had the privilege of meeting both him and Barb in person when I accompanied my father a couple times to the local ALS support group. They also paid their respects and came to my father's funeral when we laid him to rest in April of 2013.

Thank you, Jeff, for caring so much about others when you were facing such a difficult journey yourself. I am so sad for your family as I know how painful this loss is, but so thankful you are healed and with our Lord. Barbara.. if you read this- I am crying along with you for your loss and sending prayers.

Jeff- Say hi to my "daddy' for me :) I sure do miss him.

Allison

I am sorry to hear this, Jeff was a great guy. The one thing that struck me about him is how much he loved and admired his wife, and how loved he felt by her, what could be better.

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of another held dear by so many...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back