Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
ny
City
nyc
I've been working out and dieting to get into shape and my friends have noticed I put on muscle the past few months.

I say my friends noticed because I haven't. I was stupid and didnt weigh or measure myself, or even take pictures. I just wanted to get in shape and not obsess over the perfect body and I thought it was a good idea.

On Friday I noticed the right side of my neck was more muscular and figured I was working out the right side more somehow.

On Sunday I felt an entire left body tingle and what I could only describe as deterioration or my left side. I felt my chest muscle shrink, my left shoulder shrink, my left arm, leg, foot, torso, even the left side of my jaw feels smaller and weaker. Most noticeably is the muscle around my shoulder. It just feels like it shrunk and now feels like my right side is just more muscular.

I've tried measuring parts to compare to each other but I had no previous measurements so it seems to be just a starting point for future measurements but I did confirm every part of my left body is smaller than my right.

I even feel like the back left teeth don't touch when I clench my teeth, like the right do, but I can't say if thats new or not.

?
Can anyone tell me if this sounds like ALS or if ALS can progress that rapidly (Friday-Sunday)?
?

I don't have insurance so I'm waiting until 2/1 to go or until this looks like its progressed.

Another thing I noticed was I don't appear to breathe well when exercising. I can do maybe 7:30-15 minutes on an elliptical after work. I blamed it on diet and lack of energy by that time of the day but the breathing was apparent as of the past few months. I don't gasp for air, and I feel like I'm drawing in as much air as usual but I'm just not getting enough oxygen to my blood. Usually cold air helps as I notice this mostly in a warm air gym.

Quick answer: no.
Longer answer: hell no. Atrophy takes months and comes after marked weakness.

Please read the sticky note at the top of this forum titled "New Members: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!"

Most of your questions will be answered there. If they're not answered, then ask here.

:^)

Anyone ever read the book"Ben-Hur"? ... the part when he was a galley slave and asked to row on alternate sides so both would develop equally muscle-wise.....just sayin'.

You would be a record breaker. This is not ALS.

Give it up. This one hasn't been back since the post.

Yet another wanker yanking us...

Well I got to use my Ben_Hur reference so it wasn't a total loss.

People like this give people like me who are genuinely concerned about their symptoms a bad name. Just a basic google shows that there is pretty much nothing which can cause muscle atrophy that quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
People like this give people like me who are genuinely concerned about their symptoms a bad name. Just a basic google shows that there is pretty much nothing which can cause muscle atrophy that quickly.
I ended up getting insurance proactive to 1/1 through work and went to the ER twice last week and finally got to see a Neurologist on Friday.

I haven't been back here because its just ****ing depressing. I've lost over 15 lbs since last Sunday and inches on my left side, despite increasing my calorie intake to ~4k/day and haven't been to the gym this year. I had to take off work most of the week because of the visits, had to try meditation to keep calm, and have just been focusing on trying to get life insurance. Even if I don't get it just thinking about that is more comforting than guessing what I have.

The Neurologist said it doesn't sound like ALS, THANK GOD, sorry for anyone who has it, just thinking I do was terrifying. They think its MS, and I'm waiting for an MRI later this week, but the weight loss is what's throwing them off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a side note: How unique we have two Piz's... Pizbeok and Bigpiz in back to back Threads. Golly, what's the odds of that?

You guys happen to know each other by any chance? Internet friends? :)

Gee, after reading Threads from both you Piz's... both of you are into physical training and working out. Hmmm.... might be something to that.

Barbells/dropping/heads springs to mind.

Hi everyone im am so sorry to bother ...I am 31 years old and I have some questions. I had been feeling week for about a couple of weeks then after a couple more weeks I notice every muscle in my body has gotten smaller . My chest cracks alot and I have trouble breathing when I lay down....I get twitches all over my body and I can sleep eat or function because I am scared to death I have als. My tongue does not twitch and I can drink liquids and swallow food ...I quess my question to you would be can my diaphram muscles gove out this quickly and does atrophy happen all at once...thank you.

I am sorry for all the bad spelling I am really nervous I have not slept right in about a week..one more thing I have not been eating to much aswell...I got a chest xray done and complete blood work...my biggest worry is my chest it just feels very brittle and constantly cracks when I move my shoulders ...it also burns alot in the middle of my chest...everyday I seem to notice something new. And I read alot of stories of people who had different first symptoms ...I am really scared and dont know what else to do please help.

Cracking, burning- constantly noticing something new- these are anxiety not ALS. Please read the stickies and it will put your mind at ease. Muscles do not get smaller after a couple of weeks.

Thank you for your respond I really appreciate. I guess I am a lil anxious but I seem not to be able to help it every time I walk my foot hurts really bad...I seem to have lost alot of muscle in every part of my body ...to me it happend very suddenly. ..can anyone descibe the feeling when your chest muscles start to give out ...were is the pain and how severe is it...thank you so much

DAME0212
Footpain has nothing to do with ALS
'Sudden' loss of muscle in 'every part of your body' has nothing to do with ALS
'Chest muscles giving out' and causing pain or burning have nothing to do with ALS

*** YOU *** have nothing to do with ALS
*** YOU *** probably have health anexiety and WE can do nothing for you

Go away and find a health anexiety forum (and NO we don't know where to find one)

And when you find that forum do not hijack someone else's thread like you did here.

No need to reply, ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back