Learn about ALS
Country
Uk
State
Yorkshire
City
Middlesborough
Hi all

Sorry if this a long post but i haven't shared it and need to.

I have always been a worrier, one of those people who has to find something to worry about!

For the last year i have had pain in my legs, particularly my knees on a night and morning. It takes me time to losen up in the mornings. I also get burning skin feelings above my knees. I am 40 and 70lb overweight, at 6' 4" i am 20 stone (280 lb).

For around 3 months i have noticed a twitch in my calf, to start i couldnt feel it just watched little twitches under the skin. These have now spread to both legs, bicep, forearm and right eyelid, although this has stopped in my eyelid. They are strong now and make my clothes twitch. The tops of my arms on the outside have a dull heavy ache and i get numbness in the back of my hand and the top of my right foot. If i cross my legs my right calf twitches immediately and i have a dull pain in my groin. Although my arms feel week they arent really (if that makes any sense!)

I am a worrier, started a new job, moved house and my wife is ten days overdue with our first child!

My doctor did a thorough neuro physical and said all was fine. I went to a chiro who says i have a great deal of tension in my neck and shoulders and a bit of a misaligned pelvis

Doctor sent bloods for a rheumatology screen inc autoimmune but said "come back in three weeks for the results when you have a baby in the house"

Many thanks for your time

Rob

Hello there and welcome to these forums,

I see your physical exam came up normal. That means that your reflexes are normal, you do not have spasticity nor clonus or anything that points out to Upper Motor Neuron damage which is very good.

Now, in regards to the muscle twitching you are mentioning on your post, this could be due to countless reasons, among these, B.F.S. (Benign Fasciculations Syndrome), vitamin B-12 deficiency, Magnesium deficiency, stress, anxiety, tiredness, and many, many other things that not necessarily are ALS.

ALS is a very, very, very rare disease that doesn't strike everybody out there.
Some of the things I mentioned above may mimic the muscle twitching in ALS. That's why you need to follow up with your GP and your Neurologist so they can determine what is the real cause of your muscle twitching and also can rule out things that are not causing them.

Just wait for your blood works and other tests results ordered by your Doctors and relax, just relax.
Even when we all are here to try to offer advice and help, don't forget we are not Neuros nor have a degree in Medical Science and thus, we cannot replace the advice and diagnosis made by your Doctors.

Kind regards,

NH

Hi Rob

Sounds like you have alot on your plate. Congrats on the new bundle of joy. Between everything you are dealing with and the added weight that can be hard on the body. I agree with NH, you need to find a way to relax.

Once things settle down alitte bit if you are still having problems I would go back to the dr. It all sounds stress related to me. I am wishing you many blessings and good luck.

10 days overdue? And you're worried about twitching? How 'bout massaging your wife's back instead of surfing around this place? Geesh! Can't help my reaction - I'm a woman! If you must surf the net, might I suggest baby names, Lamaze or child rearing sites?

Go have a baby and come back in a few months, if you need to. Meanwhile stop worrying and savour every moment. Someone very important is eager to meet you!

PS: ALS does not present with body wide twitching. Neither are numbness and tingling ALS symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back