Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Indiana
City
Nashville
I realize I am a little young to be worried about ALS but it is a fear I can't help but have. The chances of me having ALS at 18 are very slim but the worries are very real. For the last year or so I have had occasional tremors in my hands, I the point where I and anyone around me will notice if I'm holding a pencil or doing anything that involves my hands. Recently I have also been noticing that my left foot twitches as well, and it is especially noticeable at night when I am trying to sleep. Lately I have been feeling like my left foot is just.. Different. I don't know how to put it but it feels weaker. I have a hard time holding both of my feet at 90 degree angles, especially the left one, and when I walk I occasionally scuff the bottom of my shoe on the ground and have been doing that for a while now. I don't know if it is all in my head or not, but it worries me. I also have occasional twitches on my arms, back, abdomen, legs, and even face (eyes, nose). I know that general twitches are not a sign of Als though. I'm just interested to know what all of you think. Thank you for your replies.

I think you ought to visit your doctor. Seriously, when I have health issues, that is my first stop, not the Internet. I know you're 18, but have you discussed these concerns with your parents?

I have done both. I went to the doctor for my shaking hands and he said there isn't much to go off of and to just wait and see if it gets worse. That kind of thing is hard to measure though, so I'm not sure if it has or not. And my parents think it's mostly in my head but would be willing to schedule another appointment if I asked.

Did the dr do any strength tests? You would be more likely to have ms with your age and not als. If you are really that worried I would go back to the dr.Good luck.

Drat my post went to the moderator. Stay tuned it will show up later.

Sometimes, it does take awhile for doctors to figure things out and they need time to see what occurs. But, if you are not satisfied with his/her assessment, speak with your parents and tell them you want a second opinion. Maybe they do think it's mostly in your head... And if it is, there are options to tr eat that too! Don't ever think that anxiety or depression are lesser concerns than cuts & bruises. If you get a clean bill of health from your doctor, ask for a referral to a counsellor. Sometimes stress causes many odd symptoms for people and a good therapist can help us navigate through it.

Consider all options, but please, I doubt very much you have ALS. You would know, without a doubt, if you have drop foot. Believe me!

Foot drop.....walk barefoot on wood or vinyl floor. Walk normally. You would hear a slapping sound from the bottom of your left foot slapping the floor if you had foot drop.

Does drop foot happen suddenly? Or is it a thig that gradually happens? And ok I'll see about going to the doctor again. Thanks

Mine was gradual.

gradual here too

Did your foot/leg kind of feel funny too? Or did you just notice the loss in muscle?

There's nothing funny about foot drop. Doesn't feel weird. Just doesn't work right. I have not noted muscle loss on my foot. Yet. But I don't spend a whole lot of time examining my body. Just my conscience.

Please come back after you have been to the doctor and please talk with your parents. They love you and want the best for you.

Ok. Thanks again

No funny feelings, no loss of muscle that was apparent, just started dragging my clog on R foot, then tripping, then developed gait like a drunken sailor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back