Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much! I believe my heart is in good condition. This has been such a frustrating journey as I'm sure with so many others. I did make an appointment with a Neurologist this morning, but having to wait till May to see him. Keep having these swallowing problems and tightness in throat and jaw, along with weakness in my left hand. Thanks for your response..it's nice to have someone to share with!

Mac,

Two things--keep all your stuff in one thread if you can. Makes it much easier for anyone to keep up with you. When we see multiple posts within a few days--we kind of tend to think this is someone that is not going to believe us because they are too anxious. It's a common theme here.

You've readily discounted the possibility of heart stuff, so I'm assuming you've had that checked? Were you aware that a huge % of heart attacks have neck and jaw pain but NO chest pain? Jaw pain combined with issues breathing screams ER to me, but what do I know :) Well, besides being an EMT for over 20 years and having had a heart attack. (with nothing but jaw and arm pain, believe it or not--combined with shortness of breath)

Good luck to you.

Thank you! Yesterday my jaw pressure eased, actually felt pretty good. Last night when I lied down it came back with lots of muscle twitching and the feeling the need to swallow a lot! Does ALS come in waves? I feel so tired.. Thank you!

NO Als doesn't come in waves--it comes and stays. And progresses. And doesn't have PAIN as it's presenting issue

Guys, wanted to thank everyone for their support. I'm having weakness in my left arm now and when I lay down my soft pallet drops, I begin to snore even before I fall asleep. I can feel my uvula touching my tongue, even during the day. Having swallowing issues too. Still have lots of muscle twitches. What's going on? Thank you for you insight.

Forgot to mention, this is only affecting my left side.. Can't get into the neurologist until May :(..

why don't you call a GP instead of a neuro? Just go to a regular doctor--get a complete physical. she/he will note the issues you have and if the doc is concerned they could get you fast tracked to the neuro.

Coming here daily and giving us a list of your new symptoms is annoying and makes you look silly. No one is going to take you more seriously because you have a new symptom that you forgot to mention. Too bad the neuro makes you wait a long time. they do that because your symptoms don't sound neurological. You could get in with a GP probably this week and everyone keeps telling you to do that but you ignore that suggestion. You could have a serious health issue and you are wasting time here and waiting for a neuro appt.

WE. ARE. NOT. DOCTORS.

BTW, You have not been diagnosed with ALS except by yourself, so change your profile.

Your GP can easily order a sleep study. Snoring is very often also sleep apnea. You should have that checked into.

Sleep apnea can cause many problems when you're awake. It's much more serious than people realized.

I've heard of the soft palete collapsing. IT's one of the things associated with obstructive sleep apnea. It's treatable and doesn't mean it's ALS either. Zillions of cpaps are sold each year.

Is it possible that your tongue is what is moving up and hitting the roof of your mouth. They do that.

You're so hyper-aware right now, you're noting everything your body does. With mouth/jaw issues, my first stop would be a good dentist. While they are certainly not MD's, they are trained to note any abnormalities within the structures in their domain--which includes the tongue and jaw itself.

Jaw pain is most often TMJ--and it can be very, very painful. Been there, done that. To the point that I literally could not even open my mouth. My jaw locked. Took a shot to relax it at the ER.

Start with the GP. As for a neuro--if you're intent on seeing one--even a top rated teaching hospital didn't make me wait that long for an appt. Those kinds of waits are not usual in the US.

Good luck to you. As a last thought--one sided weakness should always be investigated, as mini-strokes can cause come and go symptoms--and they are ALWAYS a sign of an impending stroke. Not sometimes--but always if not prevented.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back