Concearnedyoungfemale

Country
Ca
State
Ca
City
California
Well unfortunately I'm back

I had a emg a few months back and a few swallow studies done. All normal.. And to no evail my symptoms continue to plague me with worries...My tongue continues to feel weak & the mastification process for me is off and difficult. My tongue is starting to feel heavy and has also taken on a smaller size & even seem shorter & is loosing its firmness. I sometimes have difficulty speaking and swallowing solids. Even more strange for me is my teeth have lost ability to chater in cold weather and I can no longer feel anger in my face. I have difficulty crying & laughing, due to the fact that the muscles involved are weak..these symptoms are affecting my life & well being and I'm very worried about bulbar onset. Every day I excessively yawning and have major air hunger and I've almost completely lost my appetite .I've read stories were bulbar doesn't show up in limbs for a while, and this is so concerning for me because I have not had the bulbar area tested. Do I need another emg? What is causing all this?

Gosh, that's too bad. Thought you were on the road to recovery!

Can you return to the neuro... or another one? I can't recall if you were seen by an ENT. You know, my dentist always checks my tongue and moves it around. Can you see your dentist to get a quick check? Appointments with them are usually easier to get quickly.

So many things could cause your symptoms... I'm no doctor, but could it be a pressed nerve?

I'm not sure of its a pressed nerve. I've seen and ent & they cannot find anything, I'm so fruistrated with this & nervous, I have to wait six months before I can see the neuro again

Try your dentist for your tongue in the meantime... You never know! And go back to your GP for further assessment. Please try to stop worrying, if you can. Fretting can make everything seem worse and make you sick too.

Wish there was more I could suggest to you. Maybe someone with more smarts than me will recognize your symptoms and have better ideas as to what can be causing them.

I hope so too, Thank you Elaine, I just don't know what else to think or do @ this point, I've seen my regular doc & he seems to think its in my head since the neuro didn't pick up anything

Every one please keep me in your prayers. I have an appointment this coming Tuesday to obtain a secound opinion and possibly to set up a repeat emg. My tongue is still feeling weak & is getting soft @ the tip, eating a sucker seems to be getting harder. I'm so scared @ this point. I just hope it's something else. Don't know what else to think. I have no appetite. Super scared

Oh no! Sorry you are scared, once again. I'm still betting on a clean EMG!
Good luck on Tuesday, and give us an update.
Until then, you know the drill: try to stay as calm as possible.

Thank you Ottawa girl. Is the soft tongue tip with weakness something I should be very concerned about? I will keep my forum family updated.

I know nothing about tongue issues. Sorry! Now if you asked about hands... Ha!

Really, I bet they'll find a simple fix for you!

What did the doctor say about the facial weakness? There are a lot of reasons for it--and I doubt ALS would even make the list other than perhaps at the very bottom

Hi notme, nice to hear from you. Yes I am experiencing tongue weakness & also of the face mouth area too. I go to get a second opinion work up on Tuesday. I'm very worried about my tongue, it has defanately gotten smaller. So I'm very worried @ this point.

Has your tongue affected your speech, to where other people have commented on it? Are you able to swallow thin liquids without choking? Slurred speech and choking on water would be a sign of Bulbar ALS.

Hi Sadimae , no one has noticed speech changes & no choking of water, I have issues with slower eating & have bitten the tongue

With Bulbar issues in ALS, these would be the first symptons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back