Reason
DX UMND/PLS
Country
NZ
State
NZ
City
NZ
Thought it might be beneficial for some to have a list of controlled therapeutic studies in ALS WITHOUT a benefit.

Branched chain Amino acids
Brain derived neurotrophic factor
Ciliary neurotrophic factor
Celecoxib
Cyclophosphamide
Creatinine
Coenzyme Q10
Dextromethorphan
3,4-Diaminopyridine
Ganglioside
Gabapentin
Glutathione
Interferon beta-1a
IV immunoglobulin
Insulin like growth factor
L- three online
Lamotrigine
Minocycline
Nimodipine
Physostigmine
Pentoxifylline
Recombinant growth hormone
Selegiline
Lymphoid irradiation
Topiramate
TCH 346
Vitamin E
Verapamil
Xaliproden

NOTE...TOPIRAMATE AND MINOCYCLINE INCREASED PROGRESSION.

Ummmm. Very interesting. Thanks aly

Great list, Aly!

I know it's long and boring but some of the drugs are mentioned on here occasionally.

I didn't find it boring at all. I found it interesting wondering at why they tried some of these in the first place
(Verapamil, minocycline, physostigmine.) I wonder what made them look at these specific medications on your list.

Great list, Aly.

Vzandt, I wonder too, especially the verapamil.

sooooo helpful, your a gem - thanks aly :)

Seeing a list like that also reinforces that there is alot of effort going into fighting this nasty little critter :-o

Sometimes when the clinical trials are carried out, unexpected adverse events are noted. These can sometimes cause a further study to look into the adverse event, if it can be used in a positive way with some other disorder.

Eg. I did some of the initial Topir am ate studies years ago. Patients tended to lose weight on it. It was then looked at as a weight loss treatment. Problem was it can cause terrible depression.
I finished a low dose isot ret inoin study last year and the patients all got beautiful looking skin. Its being trialed now as a anti aging drug.

And yes its great to see that a lot of scientists are working very hard to find a treatment. They really do care.

Verapamil was tried to reduce muscle twitching and muscle cramps. But...it failed. Current Treatments

My response regarding verapamil went to moderation

I had a bad reaction to verap amil. I was probably accidentally overdosed (not my doing) on it many years ago. I turned blood red head to toe and my blood pressure sky. As for the ret... I would like to be first in line. My neck reminds me of a turtles!

Better put ceftriaxone on the list. That trial just failed too.:(

That's sad, but not all that unexpected I believe.

Wow, I take verapamil for afib and high blood pressure, and was going to ask for the to primate again as it helped neuropathic pain, but it increases spasms? Just what I don't need. Thanks for posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back