Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Phx
I was told I had Drop foot only thing what is it? Everyone, meaning the doctors I would be sent to would see me walk into the room would say when they first see me, "you have drop foot?" but never explain to me what it was? I try looking it up more then twice and still have little understanding what it is really I have. I stop worrying about it...and since my insurance at the time didn't cover the Rx I had...I purchase my first drop foot brace on line, and th cheapest I have you I could afford last christmas time 2011.
I wear it with a couple of shoes I could put it inside....only thing about my left sided drop foot is that my foot is angle towards my right foot and there is a hump on top of my foot...I am not able to move my toes at all....I'll say it again...I can't move my toes...My first Neuro doctor try hitting my foot several times back and forth and it didn't do nothing...
I think he must of been trying to conveince himself about my foot? I have no idea and I wasn't smart enough to ask him why?
I just have trouble because my left side is my weakest side and my drop foot doesn't work well. What I miss most is wearing my other shoes, which now with this insert type of brace I have it is impossible...besides I am too afaird to wear any type of heel.
I fall a lot and I think it's my ankles and just recently I was told after a big bad fall that my ankle is dead...never heard that word before...so it just gave me another word is all.
I still fall...it did change my drop foot it doesn't do the funny bend any more...I can now feel more pain and it is more strengthen out...maybe because I had my shoes on and brace when I got it caught and fell?
Well I have no idea today what is drop foot....and they tell me they think my right foot is going the same way...but don't want to give me a brace for my right foot trying to save it in away I guess...
Today though for my first time I am getting a new brace...suppose to be much better one...I have much better insurance and they are really paying for it....I am tearing up for this as I write this...only you would understand what this means to me.
I say never give up...always keep your shoulder to the wheel.....
Ruthie

Ruthie, have you had any kinds of tests, such as emg, blood studies etc.? You sound like a determined person who is willing to do the best you can with whats at hand. I am just wondering if your doctors are checking you as well as they should be. Stay strong, try not to get discouraged. Prayers with you. Sherry

From what I understand, drop foot can happen from neuro issues such as mine, or after an operation on your spine and/or hips from different types of nerve impingement, etc. You didn't mention this, but thought I'd toss it in to see if you have any spinal issues. Have you had any MRIs or EMG? That will help rule out other issues.

I found that buying shoes wider and 1/2 size larger helps fit it the brace into your shoe. jcp is a good site for selecting, and some sneakers run wider like new balance. Also take out the shoe insert when you wear your AFO, and make sure the toe box is large enough. you should probably be using a cane for balance to help prevent falls. Trust me, you can gt really hurt, and stuck if you fall.

Good luck.

Drop foot would be easy to feel when you are walking barefoot on hardwood or tile floor. Bottom on your foot makes a slapping sound when you take steps cause you are having to pick your foot up more than normal to walk cause if you don't your toes will drag and you will fall. Your ankes are so weak that they just kind of hang there and don't move like they should. What kind of bus did you drive? I used to drive a school bus till ALS got me.

CathyP described my drop-foot problem to a "T". I was wondering why I had a "slapping" sound when I was walking and the PT advised me it was drop-foot. I have fallen flat on my face a couple of times but excuse these incidents on not being observant to where I am going and what is in my path ! ! I still don't have a corrective brace but suspect it will be required at some pont in the future. Thanks for the post.

By the time I realized I had foot drop, I could trip over a blade of grass!

frankb, and anyone else with foot drop, get the doc or PT to order the AFO(brace) for you. Using it will lessen your fatigue when walking and help to prevent falls! This is so important! Get it sooner rather than later!

And here I thought my shoes were just getting a little heavier each month.

Well, maybe some little elves are putting sand in them at night?

Definitely get the AFO's asap, it will make it easier and safer to walk. But remember to take them off if you do fall, to help you get up. Another hint is to be careful on stairs.

Thanks for the tip on the AFO (?). I thought my knees were becoming weaker which made my feet seem heavier, thus making me tired more easily. Thanks.

AFO = ankle foot orthotic
Your doc and PT/OT can determine which kind will meet your needs.
Check out older threads in the archives about AFOs for more tips and even photos. Rose and maybe Barryg posted some pics
You'll find the change in your gait absolutely incredible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back