Diagnosis
08/2012
Country
US
State
MT
City
Billings
I just wanted to send an update to everyone here, I went to see a neurosurgeon and he ordered a spinal MRI which showed that I have degenerative disc disease (DDD) in my neck and early onset arthritis in the whole of my back. Very unusual for a 26 year old!He was however concerned as I have some stiffness in my right hand and some twitching in my right arm/shoulder area. He is hopeful that cortisone shots will relieve the numbness/burning issues as well as fix this. I saw a little while back that SadieMae also said her husband had DDD and was curious if he had twitching and muscle spasms as well?

Thank you again everyone who took the time to post and encourage me to ask for the spinal MRI and helped alleviate my fears.

I"ve had DDD for 30 years. Yes, it can cause all kinds of sensory issues.

Yes, however he also has ALS. His DDD was most likely caused by his work, however working for 2 years with ALS didn't help.

Would the DDD cause twitches in the arm, hand and stiffness in thumb and cramping in hand? Or was that mostly attributed to the ALS? My neurologists answer was that it can cause a variety of symptoms but was definitely causing the burning in my arms and head. I am most sure that I don't have ALS to worry about, I am more just curious about the effects of this.

I have decided I am no longer going to waste my time worrying I just want to live every day to the fullest that I possibly can. I really appreciate the feedback and my prayers are with everyone on here.

Wow, I didn't even think of DDD as possible to explain my symptoms (I have a post on this board as well) but now that I think about it, my biological father has a DDD that has kept him out of work for years...and he says it's genetic. I would ask him about it but we don't speak due to familial issues. Interesting! Thanks for the thought.

I also get an intense pain between my shoulder blades from time to time; it feels like my spine is being stabbed with something very sharp and hot! Wow. Thanks for this idea.

actually, i was told by a neuro that umn desease can cause the ddd and other arthritic conditions...as well as ddd and arthritis causing umn symptoms...chicken or the egg..johnny

Hi johnnyliverpool1. Can you explain what the neuro meant by saying that UMN can cause DDD? From what I know and have read most of the UMN symptoms start with the weakness first before the stiffness and cramping. I definitely have a dull ache in my right arm and significant stiffness in my right thumb as well as twitches in my right arm and shoulder (occasional twitches not constant). I was told this was definitely the DDD not even ALS related by my neuro.

Umn issues do NOT start with weakness. That's just not correct. Weakness comes way down the track, after the spasticity is so bad, that the limb has drastic limitation of movement. Weakness does not always occur.

DDD issues can cause just about every neurological symptom, there is. As you neurologist has alluded to.
Twitching, atrophy, weakness etc.

well it can take years before u realise or find out u got neuro probs and often people dont realise they have spasticity until a neoro tells em...and meanwhile the spaz is tugging away at the joints,,and u think, am not fit or am getting old...all that tugging causes contractions ..every so slightly early on , but good enough to cause arthritic probs...so u go to see doc and end up at the neuros...simples.. but not nice....johnny....but i know nottin much....johnnycouldcouldbewrong

Thank you Alyoop! I hate to be a troll or bug anyone here, I am just slightly worried as my thumb has been locking up lately and been very stiff. I work at a desk and I notice that when I go to grasp something my thumb "locks" up for a better word and it is extremely difficult for me to turn a page or grasp something with my thumb and forefinger. My thumb has a lot of cramping where it meets the hand but stiffness throughout. To add to that, both my index finger and middle fingers are extremely stiff feeling. I have not noticed any sort of locking motion, or problems typing or grasping with those fingers. I have a constant ache on that shoulder and cramps coursing down that arm. I have also noticed twitching in that shoulder and in area where my forearm meets my elbow. Would this be UMN issues? What would the progression be if it was Umn issues. I realize that I have DDD, although it is not extremely progressed and I hate to be a worrywart and hypochondriac and bug all of you needlessly. I really appreciate all the effort and time you all go through to type responses and read this. I am going back to the neuro next week before I start my cortisone shot in September. Again, sorry, I do not mean to be a troll.

That is simply answered by a clinical examination. Spasticity as you have described would be very easy for a neurologist to see. If you have a recent clear clinical examination, then it's probably not spasticity. If you have not had a recent examination, then you can always make an appt and ask the dr to carefully check for spasticity in your upper limbs and hands.

Thank you very much! Appreciate it! All these things have been just popping up in the last few months and I realize that the progression would be much too fast for ALS and that most of it is probably just a side effect of the DDD but I really do appreciate the time you take to respond. Thank you again so very much.

whoops, I forgot to say, I do have another neuro appointment a week from today so I will just ask him then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back