Diagnosis
09/2011
Country
US
State
Utah
City
Hurricane
My question to the forum members is: How was it when you could no longer walk? Did it come all at once or was it gradual. My legs are starting to have trouble supporting me now, they start wobbeling when I stand and then give out. Just trying to see what is in the future, expectation. Thanks.

Mine started with R foot drop that worsened over time.

Two weeks in the hospital allowed ALS the upper hand for my PALS. He can only stand with great assistance now no walking at all. His legs still look good and he does not have foot drop. But the messages from his brain to make his feet move just don't make it anymore.

In UMND land, it is very, very gradual. The joint damage from using weak legs for far too long started collapsing my legs before the neurological weakness finished it's work.

Practically speaking, I think you have to stop walking once it isn't safe to do so, and you do a lot less walking once you walk so badly you are far more productive in a wheelchair.

My sense of balance has been horrid for over a year. Both legs are very weak and the left almost unable to support me. I can no longer get up off the floor if I fall. I use a rollator when I have to walk in the house but only a few steps. I use a powerchair daily and have to have the wife push me in a wheelchair at Dr appointments as my arm strength is very poor.

My weak leg condition worsened a lot since Dec 2011. Onset March 2010 with foot drop of the left foot. Time will tell. Otherwise though I'm happy!

My progression has been slow. I had no balance or leg problems for years. Only bulbar symptoms and some hand weakness.
Then I started having balance problems, which got worse. Then the weakness set in. I still use a rollator, but I am moving increasly slower. I also use a loaner scooter in my yard and around the neighborhood. I can still stand ok for a few minutes if I have something to hold onto. My progression has been slow, but it is still one loss after another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back