Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Arizona
City
Phoenix
hi all really would appreciate some thoughts/feedback on my current state if you will. 30 year old female.

been feeling off for more then a few months, however, last month experienced a few days of twitching and numbness in my feet and legs. The numbness mostly in my feet and very concerning as they felt cold and devoid of feeling. Since this time period the twitches have not totally ceased but decreased in frequency. my hands have lost fine motor skill or coordination as noticed with typing, text messaging, opening jars, keys in doors, etc. My hands also have begun to "claw" appears to be muscle wasting on left hand as well as a permanent fasciculation (think that is what it is) on the pinky side of my hand. I feel weak and my calf muscles are tight plus a slight tremor in my hands. In addition, have had episodes only described as my body taking an involuntary breath of air. Super scary.

Anyway, as you can imagine im freaked out. Went to a neuro last week Thursday who noticed muscle atrophy in my left hand and left leg for sure and ordered an MRI for tomorrow.

Anyone have any thoughts?

If he suspected ALS he would have ordered an EMG

EMG is going to be after the MRI.
Are you saying would have done EMG first?

Numbness would point away from ALS and toward something treatable. Treatable conditions can cause what you are experiencing so hold onto that.

Numbness would point away from ALS and toward something treatable. Treatable conditions can cause what you are experiencing so hold onto that.

Thanks. Not much numbness, however, more weakness but also an internal shaking feeling. The loss of function in my hands plus the fingers feeling rigid is what has me most concerned. Appreciate all the feedback.

You mention numbness in your feet and hands and a cold feeling, then you tell someone not much numbness.
Its very important whether or not you are having sensory issues as sensory issues with weakness and twitching etc can point more to MS. MS commonly shows up in MRI. Sensory issues are extremely rare in ALS. Just hang in there, go through the tests and ask the neurologist all the questions you have. They are far more knowledgable than an internet forum.
It is way too soon and extremely unlikely that you have ALS.

MS is much more common than ALS, and more treatable... and since Aly conducts clinical trials in MS, she's probably an expert!

On another note, have you ever been tested for Lyme? I noticed you said that your hands were "clawing", which can be indicative of a long term Lyme infection, and not easily detected.

MS is much more common than ALS, and more treatable... and since Aly conducts clinical trials in MS, she's probably an expert!

On another note, have you ever been tested for Lyme? I noticed you said that your hands were "clawing", which can be indicative of a long term Lyme infection, and not easily detected.

MRI is today and yes MS has been to mentioned. SOMETHING is off about my body for certain. Yet haven't had the vision problems usually with MS. Probably didn't make sense about numbness but its not every day numbness not even every week but the weakness is there everyday for about a month now. Yes, went and got the lyme test a week or so ago still waiting for the results.

With noted atrophy, yes, they will do an EMG--but the most likely culprit, combined with the other symptoms you're mentioning, if you're not a diabetic is neuropathy--not ALS.

A trapped nerve can cause the hand issues--and is the most likely thing they'll check for if the MRI is negative. Even in MS, the muscles don't usually atrophy quickly--depending on where and what type it could be.

For now, try to relax. There are a LOT of neuropathies that can be checked for. This doesn't sound like ALS--so try and relax and wait for answers.

The "cold" in hands and feet can also be Raynaud's. do they change color when they feel cold?

Good luck

No the hands do not change color. Currently my body almost feels plugged in if that makes any sense at all. In addition, feel very weak and again my calf muscles are super tight and have been for quite some time. MRI results to come on Tuesday apparently.

Also have to mention, because it occured again last night, that almost every day have an involuntary breath of air. My body simply takes a breath of air and my chest kind of shutters. So weird.

That's classic stress!

That's classic stress!

Possibly. Should also note that my neuro brought up that i might have MMN or MS. The shortness of breath wakes me up at night.

Thanks for all the help. Going to have to wait for MRI results and go from there.

MMN, should show up on EMG,
MS does not always involve vision problems, only when the person gets optic neuritis or associated demyelination.
Best of luck with the MRI results.
I said Classic stress because thats what happened to me when people kept mentioning ALS, it was a horrible feeling, and dissappeared once i settled down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back