Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Windsor
HI there, didn't sleep well, even with a sleeping pill.........body aches off and on at night. But, anyway, I sit here looking out the picture window staring at the lawn. I used to always get out every weekend and cut the lawn and related duties. sit back. kick back some beers and relax. How I miss those days, u know what I mean? Lots of ppl don't care doing that, but I found it relaxing. Now, I can't even start the lawnmower, last time the wife and kids could not start it..........I got upset.....went out .......primed it.......pulled the cord .........and went flying ...........thank god one of my sons were standing there to catch me.........lol............and the wife telling me , told u not to try starting the mower.........just stubborn.......and not going to change.......LOL

now this is fun

my neghbors are either techies or managers.driving my powerchair down the street they stop me to get thier power lawn machines working......... "do u have a rachet? a what? HOW about a adjustable wrench? HOW ADJUSTABLE? DO U KNOW ABOUT PREMIX? unh? >>>>>>>>>>OK ITS STARTED WHAT DO I DO?...............call 911 unless u put on boots googles and long pants......u kidding me, right?

CANT WAIT TILL CHRISTMAS , all of those needing assembly help.

Oh the wonderful dreaded LAWN

Hey just thought that's a 4 letter word. Knew it had to be.

I use to enjoy keeping my yard looking neat and nice and I have this incline in the back that no kidding is about oh say 40 degrees. Always was fun when I had my wits about me to cut it, it was such a challenge. The bottom was flat so would put the lawnmower in high gear and drag race to the top. About half the time wheels would spin halfway up then grab and do a wheelie, scaring the begeesus out of me. After I changed my underwear I would go finish going sideways still about to flip over the whole time.

It was great fun, I use to love to live dangerously. Then I'd get out the old weed wacker and blower and everything looked great. I took great pride in how nice it looked.

Now I could lose my dog in the back yard, Come to think of it I haven't seen my wife in awhile, hum.

I walk the dog in the evenings with my power chair and everyone takes their kids to the other side of the road like watch out here comes some kind of monster kids. Somehow just not quite the same.

God Bless
Big AL
:)

MtPockets said:
I walk the dog in the evenings with my power chair and everyone takes their kids to the other side of the road like watch out here comes some kind of monster kids. Somehow just not quite the same.

God Bless
Big AL
:)
Hi Al, it's funny you mention walking your dog in your chair. My experience has been the reverse. I moved to my current neighbourhood 4 years ago. It's in the country with perhaps 100 yards between houses and for the first 2 1/2 years I met almost no one. Then I got a scooter and started meeting people on the road who were out for a walk. Then, this spring I got a pup and am walking him with the scooter and I've found he's like a people magnet. I've met virtually everyone on the road now and people actually cross over to see us. I would go as far as saying that walking my dog with the scooter is one of the very few "upsides" to ALS. We both really look forward to our walks which are really more runs. My scooter cruises at about 7 mph and the pup loves to run at that speed. We regularly go for 3-4 mile "runs" down to the sea and back and never fail to attract a few conversations on the way.

john1

HOW THE HECK CAN U KEEP THE DOG ON 1SIDE OF THE CHAIR! when shadow crosses over in front of me, her leash goes under my powerwheel chair wheel and the chair immediately yank right or left . this tosses me off the sidewalk. i have NO hand usage.

thanks

TRACY22 said:
HOW THE HECK CAN U KEEP THE DOG ON 1SIDE OF THE CHAIR! when shadow crosses over in front of me, her leash goes under my powerwheel chair wheel and the chair immediately yank right or left . this tosses me off the sidewalk. i have NO hand usage.

thanks
Ouch! I'm not sure I have a total solution. No hand use would be a problem all right. I have no sidewalks so I always drive facing the traffic and Chewbacca has learned to (almost) always run on the left side of the scooter. One thing I have found tremendously useful to avoid tangles is a leash with a recoil spring that always keeps slack out of the line. Could you have the recoil leash mounted somehow so that it swivels 360°? I guess the problem for you with this is that you couldn't squeeze the trigger to stop Shadow from darting into traffic if a cat or other lure attracts him. You could easily trim the recoil leash to whatever length you use now though. I am still able to use my arm to do this on the few occasions that Chewie runs behind the scooter and goes to the right. This most often happens though not when we are cruising but if we have stopped in an area with people and he goes to greet them or their dog.

My dog has mind of her own

I bought one of those recoil leashes and control her somewhat with that. It keeps the slack out of the lease for me and I can lock it if a car comes by to keep her safe.

My problem is she barks at everyone who goes by us and scares them away. Kind of hard to meet your neighbors when the dog acts like she wants to eat them. haha

I have a good road in front of the house and the top speed on my wheelchair is about 15mph, so when she wants to have a good run it's off to the races. I can control that speed now but as I lose my strength in my hands I will have to not do that anymore. We usually just walk her at about 3 or 4 mph.

Without the automatic leash it would be almost impossible to control her.

God Bless
Big AL

Hi all. My daughter and son-in-law were in from Dallas to join our team in the ALS walk in Kansas City this weekend. She was reading over my shoulder as I viewed this thread and we both got a nice chuckle out of the lawn mower and dog walking stories. We are fortunate enough today that Dennis is still walking (and actully walked the walk with his team, although he had to work at it), but he has always been the go-to guy when you are working on something and have questions. We could envision him being the one the neighbors stop with questions. Thank you for such a great outlook and sense of humor. I know that you also have your down moments, but it is so good to hear stories that are funny and know that as with any challenge God presents, it's what you make of it and we all need to make it as good as possible. Bless you always. Boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back