Reason
Loved one DX
Country
IRE
State
dublin
City
dublin
hi guys was wondering if anyone could answer some question i have bout mnd please. my 21yr female cousin has only been diagnoised wit 2 types of mnd last wk and we have been told she only has months to live :-(. i dont want to upset my uncle and his wife by asking question as im sure this is the last ting on their minds.
I would like to know is my cousin going to be in pain in anyway and when it does come her time to leave us will she suffocate? i just cant bear to tink bout this :-( :-(

Re: new here

Welcome to the forum! Sorry about your cousin, she is too young to have to go through this.

It is hard to say whether she will have any pain, some people do and others don't. To answer your other question, the majority of people do die from respiratory failure, unless they get a tracheostomy and ventilator.

Do you know why she was told she only has months to live? That seems too short a time frame.

Yes, something sounds strange here. 2 types of MND at once is just about unheard of. Age 21 and a few months to live is really off the scale. Is it possible you misunderstood her diagnosis? How long was she showing symptoms?

AL.

Hi

We were told by two pulmonologists that 90% of ALS patients die in their sleep. Once breathing becomes difficult, morphine is administered to ease the sensation of suffocating. Eventually, there will be a CO2 build up. Like the other folks, I am surprised your cousin was told months. The doctors will tell us nothing in regards to a time frame.

thanx u guys for replying to me. i dont know alot about mnd but even i thought 2 types and months to live was a bit extreme but unfotunitly its true. i went to visit her in hospital last week and she was up walking about went to see her last nite and she needed help to sit up in bed so it seems to b taking hold of her pretty quickly.also she cant really swollow and her speech is almost gone.
thanx you Miss for your reply this has comforted me a bit as much as i wish it wasnt happening her im glad she wont suffer as i thought she wud have.
Also can i ask you guys are u mnd suffers or do u know people wit mnd?

xx

soz al to answer ur question they reckon its been going on for about a yr. shes been falling over a bit and loosing loads of weight.

hopes- sorry about your cousin. thats a lousy deal. just to answer your question, if you look under peoples names to the left of their posts, you can see if they suffer from MND(ALS) or if they are a caregiver, or know someone with it, etc.

thanx u liz, i can see that now lol! thanx for the reply xx

Sorry about your cousin hopes. 21 is so young to have mnd. To progress so quickly is not unheard of but unusual especially in a young person. Bad round of luck for all concerned.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back