12/2006
Country
US
State
illinois
City
Tiskilwa
Ok Al

After the mention of you "full contact lawn mowing" post, I had to read it. Must admit felt bad for you...but had to laugh and read to my hubby(PALS). He said it reminded him of me while I was 'allowed' to push mow the lawn.

Have any of you push mowed a lawn in the fall with a ton of walnut trees in the yard? It is quite an experience. You end up dodging the flying walnuts that are just waiting for the chance to hit you. I swear that some of those things have a radar..with my name on it! After dodging the walnuts for 2 hrs you begin to wonder why the grass can't just grow to it's hearts content. Just to clarify... I'm a clutz, my dodging ability is nil. There was a few time I looked like I had been in a fist fight....ugh!

I was 'banned' from lawn mowing the day the lawn started spitting things out at me. Now I had mowed this patch of yard all summer...and out of the blue a chunk of wire worked it's way out. It when into my leg and 'tried' to go out the back....notice I said 'tried'.. the darn thing lost interest half way through. I got a lovely ER visit out of that one. So the next week I snuck out to prove to the lawn who was boss...well I lost again....The lawn is still the boss(and the walnuts). And I am no longer allowed to mow. We had to have my brother teach our oldest how to mow. That was scary...he's a clutz like me. I have properly warned him of the danger of trying to fight the walnuts!

The sad part is that I'm Earl's primary caregiver. The poor man!

Yep I have walnut trees and know the scene. At my last garden I also had huge yucca and when I had my back turned they would always leap at me and stick there horrible spines into my tender flesh. Then there are the dog bones (not ones OF dogs but ones they only half buried because they were not maggoty enough yet to bring in the house on to Mommy's bed) and pine cones and ant hills.
Oh, but I MISS mowing the grass!

YIKES! Cris, this is truly SCARY! One of the most HORRIBLE things I ever had to deal with in the ER was a 10 year old boy who was outside playing while his Daddy was mowing the yard. Dad hit a small rock that became a missle and lodged in this child's eye socket! No damage to the eyelid-just completely ruptured his little eyeball! OMG-it was so horrible. Need I mention that I don't do eye injuries well [or mucuos either-bring on the BLOOD and guts but pllleeaase not squished eyeballs!] IF HE HAS to mow-MAKE HIM WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES! How about some lovely stupid sheep or some smart goats to graze it? You could eat the sheep and milk the goats and everyone would be happy-including me! We have 4 city lots and the d--n grass an inch or more a day in the summer. We have a Dixon riding lawnmower :] The only bad thing is that we have so many nightcrawlers that they make the lawn full of ridges that shake your boobs off! I Always wear an exercise bra or can not stand it! Our STUPID little town on the Prairie in the middle of NOWHERE has decided that it is against city ordinances to have anything but a dog or cat in your yard and they BOTH have to be on leashes in your own yard. Imagine a cat on a leash lol I would love to have a sweet goat and some hens :]

Oh, do get the hens! Then you won't have to worry about any grass--ours can clean out a run in just a couple of days along with any bugs. Meanwhile, you can get really top rate eggs if you don't use any chemicals on the lawn.

I had a "chicken tractor" at the Farm and it was fabulous. Loved the girls and their happy eggs!

not to worry indignosed...we have since moved into town, no trees except an old one that just drops leaves! they still won't let me mow though.

I don't mow or snow blow anymore either. It is nice to watch son in law do grass but you have to duck from flying dog terds sometimes. He tries to scoop b4 mowing but misses the odd one, the blades don't miss em though.

AL.

LOLOL What a visual picture! I can't wait for Glenn to find a photo of Flying Dog Turds to post lol The frozen ones could definately be classified as MISSLES when hit by the snow blower so wear goggles if you are observing your SIL, Uncle AL! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back