Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
New York
City
Rochester
Hello, I am a forty year old male newly diagnosed in Dec 08, I don’t have my name on cause I am a fire fighter and work does not know yet. Anyway along with other symptoms I feel like I can not eat enough. I would say hypoglycemic. I get shaky and feel very week, if I eat I feel better, but cant it doesn’t seam to last. Is this common, or could this just be stress related. I thought I read some where that your body burns calories like crazy with this disease, but I can’t find it again.
The second part of the question, is that I feel a general unease, sort of weak, and sort of just not right, again is this a common feeling or just stress? Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

It is really hard to say how much stess is contributing to your problems. Stress is a killer so try to control it any way that you can.

Your issues could also be caused by ALS, but can be exaggerated by stress. Yes, you will likely need more calories as your body, immune system, is working overtime fighting ALS. I lost 80 pounds in 18 months and I was eating the same amount as before ALS so I would encourage you to increase your food intake and keep the weight on.

You are likely to feel that something is not right as it isn't. Again, stress can cause major problems.

I have posted before about the shakes my husband takes. You can purchase them online. Not sure if 600 calories is too much but you mix the powdered shake with 1 cup milk and it is 600 calories and tastes really good (he says....I won't even take a lick for the high calories, ha ha) He has this is place of lunch (as I am working ) and is satisfied until I get home dinner time to feed him dinner. Also, I add a bananna, and ice cream.

Anyway, if this is something you would want. It is Scandishakes and you can google.

His Als Clinic gave us sample boxes at visit when my husband was dropping weight.
These shakes are expensive but so worth it if you need to put weight on.
They come in 3 flavors: strawberry, vanilla and chocolate.

yrt ... I'm so sorry for your diagnosed. We get a lot of firefighters on here ... I wonder if there is some commonality as with vets.

I have heard that the body burns calories like mad with ALS, too ... can't remember if I read it or my neuro told me. I think it was the neuro. As muscles begin to dwindle, adjacent muscles try to take over the work, and doing double duty, they burn more calories. I also get that weak and shaky feeling when I have not eaten well or recently. You may be eating less than before, too ... you may not be aware of swallowing issues slowing down your eating or just making you change your diet to make it easier to get stuff down. But eat as much as you can. Keeping your weight up helps slow progression, my neuro told me.

I think the weak and "not right" feelings are connected to ALS. It is a major blow to our bodies and immune systems, and our bodies react.

Hang in there.

Love the "search" feature. Mike has been eating a snack twice during the night because he is weak and hungry! This is a new symptom so I wanted to check it out. He'll be very thrilled to know I can feed him a big bowl of icecream or a milk shake with added protein powder. Will have to try this.

V,

Are you losing weight? How long between eating do you feel shaky and weak?

How are you managing at work? That can't be easy (understatement ;))

Lydia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back