Diagnosis
01/2016
Country
US
State
North Dakota
City
Burlington
My husband shoulders are pretty much just bone now. He is side sleeper and is experiencing a lot of pain from laying that way. Is there anything we can try to protect his shoulder so he can still sleep on his side? We have tried wedges and that is so hard to get him in comfortable position. We also tried pillows but he gets extremely hot, like night sweats. He is just drenched. Does anyone have any ideas to alleviate the pain?

My husband uses a ‘boomerang’ pillow they sell at bed bath and beyond and elsewhere....it has helped him

A bamboo or modal cover may be coolest. You can get one with removable foam bits (I prefer latex) so you can adjust the fill to fit his anatomy and there should be less heat buildup (have you tried a fan next to or above the bed)?

Google shoulder pillow side sleeper and look for one like that -- there are several.

Before ALS, I eliminated lower back pain with an (approx. 1 1/2 to 2 inch), memory foam, mattress topper from a local store. Any thicker and I couldn't roll over. Thicker might also be hot. With a puffy mattress pad and 100% cotton sheet, I'm not hot.
I sometimes come here for reassurance for my family and helpful hints. Although a PALS , I thought my experience might be helpful. ('ll go now.) B. 8)

Beauty makes a good point. I was focusing only on the pillow but strongly believe everyone less mobile should have an overlay -- often latex, because a medical grade foam mattress is just not forgiving enough for the pressure points that develop from immobility and atrophy. The right natural latex is more breathable. It's cheaper and easier to mix and match a standard mattress w/ an overlay than buy a super high-tech mattress that may not work.

You can find very reasonable "green" latex overlays on Amazon and elsewhere. The one I'm using myself is "Pure Green" 3" soft (over a $100 mattress, mind you). They come in different firmnesses, bed sizes, and heights.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back